Help with SLIM 120mm fan. Also need advice for other fans.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

o0adam0o

Help with SLIM 120mm fan. Also need advice for other fans.

Post by o0adam0o » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:48 pm

So i had to purchase a slim 120mm case fan because my ARCTIC Freezer i32 doesnt allow the case to close properly with the side 120mm fan. I rushed to get one and went with: Scythe Slip Stream Slim SY1212SL12MI. I install it and the case now closes fine... Awesome right? But when i turn my PC on i hear the bad news. Its loud and i hate it!

So now i need another SLIM 120mm case fan.

I was thinking one of these but not sure which one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productc ... 0AJ4YB7629

Assuming i can get both for same price..which one would you recommend? Or is there a better option under $20 usd?

PC Case: Antec Nine Hundred v1

Other Case Fans: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

Also im thinking of replacing the big 200mm case fan on top. Is there anything worth upgrading to that will move the same or more amount of air but be quieter? I dont know the specs of the original 200mm fan, anyone know?

Thanks for taking time to look!

quest_for_silence

Re: Help with SLIM 120mm fan. Also need advice for other fan

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:22 pm

o0adam0o wrote:So i had to purchase a slim 120mm case fan because my ARCTIC Freezer i32 doesnt allow the case to close properly with the side 120mm fan. I rushed to get one and went with: Scythe Slip Stream Slim SY1212SL12MI. I install it and the case now closes fine... Awesome right? But when i turn my PC on i hear the bad news. Its loud and i hate it!

Is it loud why?

Is it spinning too fast? How are you controlling it? Does it vibrate/resonate? Is it close to other fans and how are those oriented? Can you take a shot of your system in that area? May you record the noise you're talking about? Moreover, your clearance issues are not that clear.

o0adam0o wrote:So now i need another SLIM 120mm case fan.

At first glance, I don't think so: you got pretty much a good one.

Therefore you should look for the reason of that excessive noise at first in how you hooked it up to your system (it's a DC fan, and there's a chance you connected it to a not autosensing header: which is the mobo?).

o0adam0o

Post by o0adam0o » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:28 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
o0adam0o wrote:So i had to purchase a slim 120mm case fan because my ARCTIC Freezer i32 doesnt allow the case to close properly with the side 120mm fan. I rushed to get one and went with: Scythe Slip Stream Slim SY1212SL12MI. I install it and the case now closes fine... Awesome right? But when i turn my PC on i hear the bad news. Its loud and i hate it!

Is it loud why?

Is it spinning too fast? How are you controlling it? Does it vibrate/resonate? Is it close to other fans and how are those oriented? Can you take a shot of your system in that area? May you record the noise you're talking about? Moreover, your clearance issues are not that clear.

o0adam0o wrote:So now i need another SLIM 120mm case fan.

At first glance, I don't think so: you got pretty much a good one.

Therefore you should look for the reason of that excessive noise at first in how you hooked it up to your system (it's a DC fan, and there's a chance you connected it to a not autosensing header: which is the mobo?).
Thanks for taking time to read and reply. Im new to this terminology so ill do my best to answer your questions and explain further.

1) Is it spinning too fast? How are you controlling it? Does it vibrate/resonate? Is it close to other fans and how are those oriented? Can you take a shot of your system in that area? May you record the noise you're talking about? Moreover, your clearance issues are not that clear.

The slim fan in question says: Noise: 28.89 dBA Airflow: 38.05 CFM. So im thinking thats why its loud.

It doesnt sound like something is broke, sounds like its just spinning fast. Its connected via a 3pin plug to the PSU. I have 4 (Lets call them A,B,C,D, E) of these 120mm fans all set at lowest level: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product. Two (A+B) as intakes (sucking air from outside the case) at the front of the case via molex. One (C) at the inside bottom of the case.. its sucking more air from(B). One (D) as exhaust in the top back sucking air out of the case. Finally a 200mm fan (F) on top rear sucking air out of the case. My CPU fan is pushing air the same direction as A and C so it should be like a stream going to the CPU.

I have room for a 5th (E) fan on the side panel. However, my CPU cooler is too tall and a 1-inch 120mm fan will hit the top of the cooler and not let my case close. So i had to purchase a slim 16mm thick 120mm fan.

MY OWN CASE: WHY IT WONT CLOSE: http://imgur.com/a/qlkgG

MY OWN CASE...Fan direction including side fan: http://imgur.com/a/11kZq

NOT MY CASE BUT CLEAN SIDE VIEW (NOTE THAT MY INSIDE FAN IS AT THE BOTTOM AND NOT THE MIDDLE LIKE THE PIC SHOWN):
http://techgage.com/reviews/antec/nine_ ... _thumb.jpg

My MOBO: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

The slim fan i got it noticeable louder than the 120mm Antec Tri Cool fans i already have. I need a quieter SLIM 120mm fan or a way to quiet this one down.

THanks!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:11 am

o0adam0o wrote:The slim fan in question says: Noise: 28.89 dBA Airflow: 38.05 CFM. So im thinking thats why its loud

Well, ok: seemingly you misunderstand how fans works and what they rating means.

Those you quoted above are (some of) the declared maximum specs. That is, according to the manufacturer, the fan while spinning at 1600rpm will emit around 29dB. And will emit all that noise because it will move a lot of air (and that's probably what it's happening). You may give a look at your Tri-Cools data here for a quick comparison.

The issue is this fan (actually any fan) is not meant to run at max speed every moment: a) because it's noisy; b) because it will wear out faster.

Why does it spin so fast? If I got you, because you connected it the wrong way.
This fan is meant to be hooked to a motherboard header, not to a PSU: and it does need to be connected to a motherboard voltage control header.
If you do so, the motherboard will dial up and down the fan speed according to a specified temperature: otherwise, the fan will run at full speed everytime.

That's what you're actually experiencing, I guess.

o0adam0o wrote:It doesnt sound like something is broke, sounds like its just spinning fast. Its connected via a 3pin plug to the PSU. I have 4 (Lets call them A,B,C,D, E) of these 120mm fans all set at lowest level...

And that's the error: you managed the slim fan like it were a Tri-Cool fan, and you shouldn't.
Actually you're running the slim fan as if the Tri-Cools were set at an higher setting (please set those Tri-Cools to that setting and let me know whether they are loud or not).
The difference is clearly in the three-positions switch: the Scythe has not because it relies upon the motherboard control (as either your CPU fan, or as any other fan but not those Tri-Cools), which you omitted hooking it directly to the PSU.

I guess the solution is to connect the Slim fan to a proper voltage control header: your motherboard has three, please refer to page 33 of your motherboard manual for details. :wink:

o0adam0o

Post by o0adam0o » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
o0adam0o wrote:The slim fan in question says: Noise: 28.89 dBA Airflow: 38.05 CFM. So im thinking thats why its loud

Well, ok: seemingly you misunderstand how fans works and what they rating means.

Those you quoted above are (some of) the declared maximum specs. That is, according to the manufacturer, the fan while spinning at 1600rpm will emit around 29dB. And will emit all that noise because it will move a lot of air (and that's probably what it's happening). You may give a look at your Tri-Cools data here for a quick comparison.

The issue is this fan (actually any fan) is not meant to run at max speed every moment: a) because it's noisy; b) because it will wear out faster.

Why does it spin so fast? If I got you, because you connected it the wrong way.
This fan is meant to be hooked to a motherboard header, not to a PSU: and it does need to be connected to a motherboard voltage control header.
If you do so, the motherboard will dial up and down the fan speed according to a specified temperature: otherwise, the fan will run at full speed everytime.

That's what you're actually experiencing, I guess.

o0adam0o wrote:It doesnt sound like something is broke, sounds like its just spinning fast. Its connected via a 3pin plug to the PSU. I have 4 (Lets call them A,B,C,D, E) of these 120mm fans all set at lowest level...

And that's the error: you managed the slim fan like it were a Tri-Cool fan, and you shouldn't.
Actually you're running the slim fan as if the Tri-Cools were set at an higher setting (please set those Tri-Cools to that setting and let me know whether they are loud or not).
The difference is clearly in the three-positions switch: the Scythe has not because it relies upon the motherboard control (as either your CPU fan, or as any other fan but not those Tri-Cools), which you omitted hooking it directly to the PSU.

I guess the solution is to connect the Slim fan to a proper voltage control header: your motherboard has three, please refer to page 33 of your motherboard manual for details. :wink:

I did what you suggested and plugged it in to the motherboard and its quiet now! Thank you for your help!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:20 pm

o0adam0o wrote:I did what you suggested and plugged it in to the motherboard and its quiet now! Thank you for your help!

You're welcome.