How do I change Antec fan with fan control to motherboard?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexb

How do I change Antec fan with fan control to motherboard?

Post by alexb » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:14 pm

I have a set of Antec TrueQuiet fans that have their own fan controller slider... I wanna change it from that to motherboard so motherboard (Asus Z97-Pro) could increase or decrease fan speed based on temperatures. How do I do that? Do I cut the fan control out? or a motherboard setting (I couldn't find any).

Thanks

lodestar

Re: How do I change Antec fan with fan control to motherboar

Post by lodestar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Just set the fan control switch to High, there is no need to remove it and plug into your motherboard header of choice.

There are two sections of the BIOS dealing with fan control on most of the Asus Z97 boards, and probably yours. It is easier to set the basic settings from the front page of the BIOS using the 'Manual Fan Tuning' button. You should find that this brings up a graph like display with a choice of Standard, Silent, Turbo, Full Speed and Manual profiles. See how the profiles look to you, but for best results I would recommend that you select Manual. Typically I set a Manual profile to hold a fan to the lowest setting possible until CPU temperature hits 50C. Now despite being labelled as a Fan Tuning page, this for me was no more than a settings page. The tuning/optimizing had to be done in another part of the BIOS. In practice I also found some quirks with the Manual Fan Tuning page that may or may not apply to your board. The first was that I had to reboot to save the settings before using the separate tuning/optimization section of the BIOS. Secondly when I select between the profiles I don't get offered an Apply button, but clicking on the graph display does bring one up.

To tune/optimize the fans from the BIOS front page bottom right select Advanced Mode (F7) and then Monitor. The first line of the Monitor should read '> Qfan Tuning' - click on this text and it will start tuning (optimizing) all fans. You should get a progress bar, and then a report at the end. It should set your Antec fan to the lowest speed possible. Of the 120mm TrueQuiet (TQ) models the vanilla 120mm should run from around 600 rpm and the Pro version from about 300 rpm. The 140mm TQ should get down to something like 200 rpm, this partly reflects its relatively low top speed of 700 rpm.

alexb

Post by alexb » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:51 pm

GREAT, thanks! It works just fine... I didn't even bother with BIOS, downloaded the AI Suite 3.0 and oh boy is it super cool and easy to use. Could literally set the fan speed and thresholds with temperatures. No guessing game anymore. Fantastic product.

Now, HOW DO I get AI Suite to read my GPU fan and temps too? My GPU is EVGA, so not an Asus product but I am sure there's a way to hack it to work... no?

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:03 am

I don't know about AI Suite, but SpeedFan can do that. If you want to give it a try, be aware, that the user interface takes alittle getting used to. There are manuals around the web.