Fans optimal setup on Define R5?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

abadguy87

Fans optimal setup on Define R5?

Post by abadguy87 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Hello guys, my new pc is gonna be on a Fractal Define R5. The case comes with X2 140mm "Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed". In addition I bought X2 140mm "Arctic F14 PWM" fans. My idea is to put x2 front intake, x1 top exhaust and x1 rear exhaust. My question is: where should I put the 2 PWM fans for optimal noise? Thank you for your help!

NeilBlanchard

Re: Fans optimal setup on Define R5?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:49 am

Welcome to SPCR,

I would put the quietest fans as the exhausts, since they are (probably) on more of the time. If they are pretty close to the same noise, then I would put the PWM fans in the intake positions, so they can run very slowly when they are needed.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 am

One fan its the biggest benefit
Two fans, still a noticeable gain
Three and up its questionable what you gain, i leave you a couple of video for you to check out and if you wish test with your multiple fans
BitechThe Big Air Cooling Investigation
LinusTechTips Case Fans - How many should you have?

Personally i always peruse positive pressure, more so to try to evade dust entering through opening that are not filtered, like passive PSU, PCIe slots or tops, etc, you also have to realize that Fractal cases are very restrictive, most intake fans are behind filters that diminish a lot what a fan can do, so back on my R4 build i decided toward 3 fans in (2 front one bottom, all filtered) and one exhaust (the classic beside the IO Shield).

But remember all setups are different, so i would give a shot to doing different placement until you find what work for you. My initial suggestion would be two frontal to be PWM, the bottom and back to be fractal fans.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:40 am

Abula wrote:Personally i always peruse positive pressure, more so to try to evade dust ... most intake fans are behind filters that diminish a lot what a fan can do, ...
Me too. The intake fans has to be quite a bit stronger than the exhaust fan to actually achieve positive pressure though.
A couple of filtered intake fans at full speed is hopefully sufficient to overpower a single exhaust fan at minimum speed.