Trying to make server as quiet as possible.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elsmandino

Trying to make server as quiet as possible.

Post by elsmandino » Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 am

Hello,

I would be really grateful for some quietening advice.

I have put together a Linux server, that sits in my living room and it is a little too loud.

The build is in a tower that has a 140mm intake fan and a 120mm exhaust fan, both fans are arctic PWMs (F12/F14).

Both fans are connected to the CPU header with a three-way splitter.

I have set the CPU BIOS to run at a minimum of 12.5% and a minimum target temperature of 40C.

The server does nothing but schedule/record programs and serve media to clients, so it pretty much sits idle for most of the time.

I have done a bit of listening around the case and it seems the CPU cooler is adequately quiet.

The case fans are the problem - the intake fan doesn't spin up as the CPU header doesn't seem to reach a speed to get it going and the exhaust fan seems to run excessively quickly.

It seems that the best option is to have the case fans controlled separately from the CPU.

My motherboard does have a separate BIOS-controlled 4-pin header, but I was disappointed to find that it is not PWM controlled.

What do you think my best options are to get things quieter:

1. Connect both PWM fans to this second header and try and do some testing with the BIOS (do PWM fans work well with voltage regulation?).

2. Switch my PWM fans for a couple of 3-pin Golfball Sharkoons (which I have spare) and connect them both to the 4-pin header.

3. Forget the second header, buy a couple of manual fan controllers, and then turn each fan down until it is no longer audible.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

lodestar

Re: Trying to make server as quiet as possible.

Post by lodestar » Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 am

elsmandino wrote:...The build is in a tower that has a 140mm intake fan and a 120mm exhaust fan, both fans are arctic PWMs (F12/F14). Both fans are connected to the CPU header with a three-way splitter.
Artic Fans use a proprietary method of PWM sharing - PST (PWM Sharing Technology) - that does not work correctly with conventional PWM splitter cables. You could try plugging the F12 and F14 into the CPU PWM fan header using the PST arrangement and then plug the existing CPU fan in as the last fan on the chain. Everything should then work correctly. There might be an issue with the cable lengths of the fans and the size of the case, if so a potential solution is the Artic Cooling PST cable.

elsmandino

Post by elsmandino » Thu May 03, 2018 5:37 am

Thank you Lodester - your reference to PST has really helped me.

It seems that I bought the inferior non-PST fans instead (I bought F12 and F14 PWM Rev.2).

What I really need are the PWM PST versions, along with the official cable splitter.

Before I order some replacements, would it be possible just clarify something for me, please:

1. Amazon sell two variations:

the PWM PST - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-F12-PWM ... 2Bf12&th=1

and

the PWM PST CO - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-F12-PWM ... 2Bf12&th=1

Given that these are going into a 24/7 server, do you think it is worth spending the extra on the CO versions?

2. I note that the PST cable does not have a separate molex connector and that everything is connected via the CPU header - is three fans not going to overload the header (I was always under the impression that you should not connect more than three fans to a header without additional power)?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri May 04, 2018 1:28 am

The use of PST fans and the cable will ensure that they all work correctly. The combined power draw of the PST fans and the CPU fan should be OK without being powered separately. The Arctic CO fans feature ball bearings with a much higher potential service life than fluid bearings. However some ball bearing fans have a history of throwing up unwanted noises particularly of the 'hissing, rattling and singing' variety which may or may not be an issue. The only reservation I would have about PST is the Arctic Cooling 140mm fan which has a minimum start speed of around 40% PWM duty cycle. The non-PST fan has the same feature which might explain what you are currently experiencing - "...the intake fan doesn't spin up as the CPU header doesn't seem to reach a speed to get it going...". And if you set the CPU fan to run at 40% PWM duty cycle to get the intake fan going this may mean excessive CPU and/or exhaust fan noise.

In view of this it might be worth going for non-Arctic PWM fans which will work with the existing splitter cable but without the issues around 40% minimum PWM duty cycle startup. For a 140mm fan I would recommend the Noctua Redux NF-P14S 1200 PWM. This fan will run from about 13% PWM duty cycle, under that it will stop. At around 20% duty cycle it will run at 300 rpm or so. For 120mm PWM fans take your pick. Noctua fans like the NF-P12 will run from around 15% PWM duty cycle, with a speed of 250 to 300 rpm and below that can be stopped. A cheaper alternative is the Scythe Kama Flex 120mm PWM fan, this fan will run at around 300 rpm from 20% duty cycle right down to 0% PWM duty cycle, so it cannot be stopped.