Cleaning fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

atamur

Cleaning fans

Post by atamur » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:19 am

I was wondering how do people clean their systems and fans in particular. On a 8 year old PC that I vacuum occasionally (maybe once a year) there is a lot of dust that's stuck to the fans and doesn't go away.

Should I just replace the fans for new ones? I imagine after 8 years they probably make more noise than they could.

For context: in my build I have 4x120mm fans (2 chassis, 1 PSU and 1 CPU)

CA_Steve

Re: Cleaning fans

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:06 pm

While holding a fin in place, blast the fan with a can of compressed air. There's a potential for ESD damage to your circuit board components if you use a vacuum (static builds up on the vacuum tip).

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:43 am

CA_Steve wrote:... There's a potential for ESD damage to your circuit board components if you use a vacuum (static builds up on the vacuum tip).
True. Static is also generated in the nozzle when using compressed air, and that charge is transferred to the molcules blowing towards the surface you're cleaning!

From an ESD perspective it's best to use a vacuum cleaner with a metal nozzle that's resistively connected to the computer while also using an antistatic brush to get the grit off the surfaces.

mingv7v

Post by mingv7v » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:22 pm

atamur wrote: I imagine after 8 years they probably make more noise than they could.
If it's noisier than before then you probably need to lubricate them -- it may work with some fans, not with others.

If you want to get rid of *all* the dirt, take them out, blow off surface dirt with compress air and then clean them with your favourite cleaning solution using kitchen towel, Q-Tip, etc. But dirt alone on the surface usually doesn't make fans noisier.