120mm Evercool Aluminium Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dingus

Post by Dingus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:11 am

I tried the sonata spare 'rubber nipples' to separate the fan from the case but they were too flimsy and you just mentioned the fans weight.
Hardware store trip pending.

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:51 am

One thing to note is that this is the exact same fan as the ordinary Evercool plastic housing so if weight is an issue, get the plastic version. The aluminium one has a different outside housing but that is the only difference (other than a huge price difference!)

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:29 pm

The wheight do serve an end, though. Since it is heavier it takes more force to get it to vibrate and thus it is moer quiet.

darkroom

Post by darkroom » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:14 pm

Okay, you guys are convincing me. I'm thinking of getting this fan. But I have a couple of questions...

First, is there more than one version of the 120mm version of this fan? (i.e. is it like the Panaflo fans that have the Low, Medium, High, Ultra versions)? I have found an Evercool 120mm with model number AL12025M. Is this the one you're all talking about?

Second question...one vendor says that 120mm fans shouldn't be plugged directly into the motherboard and recommends using a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter or an RPM monitoring cable. Have you heard this before? Is this how you're connecting your 120mm fans?

Thanks!

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:48 pm

My model number is AL12025 - at the back its says speed is "M"

My fan is hooked up to my Zalman fan controller. You need to do this or else, you'll have the fan running at 12V and you won't like that :)

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:07 am

Dingus wrote:I tried the sonata spare 'rubber nipples' to separate the fan from the case but they were too flimsy and you just mentioned the fans weight.
Hardware store trip pending.
Maybe these guys can help you out! :D :D

8)

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:59 am

The Evercools do come in three different styles, low, medium and high. I think that the one that has been discussed here is the medium (M) fan. Judging from its features, I´d say the "M" version is the best for our purposes.

As for the powerconsumtion, the fan is rated at about 4 watts. there are 60mm fans (Deltas, of course:) rated about 4 watts as well, so I don´t think that is such a big issue. I have mine connected to the motherboard, using a fanmate, the same as CoolColJ.

darkroom

Post by darkroom » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:46 am

Thanks guys! I'm going to order one (or two) of these fans then. :) If I happen across the low speed version of this fan, would you recommend it over the M version? I suspect it would have a lower dB and rpm rating...

I like the fact that they are heavier (being made of aluminum) which should reduce the vibrations as you've all experienced.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 am

I don´t know, I don´t think anyone has tested the L-fan. I think that the M version will be more quiet for all cfm levels.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:23 pm

CoolColJ wrote:Well I put back the Evercool into my case.

This is what I found, the SOnata 120mm fan can be heard even at 5volts. Not so much air noise, but a sorta muted drone.
It will always spin up even at under 5volts - at least mine does

The Evercool has more turblence noise, but it also moves more air and has no drone. But the Evercool at 900RPM (less than 5 volts which is 1150RPM) moves more air than the Sonata fan at 5volts and can't be heard from my sitting position. Also the exhaust air is much cooler for some reason.

I suspect the mass of the alumium frame does help in this regard.
How are you able to use a fanmate with the Sonata fan? The Sonata fan has a 4-pin connection and fanmate accepts only a 3-pin connection.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:00 pm

GamingGod wrote:I 5v my 120mm antec fan and it is now inaudible unless you put ur ear right beside it
How did you 5 volt the Sonata fan? I know the Sonata has a 4-pin connection and Zalman's fanmate has 3-pin connections.

Dingus

Post by Dingus » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:13 am

i found some old skateboard bolts of various random sizes from my mid teens that are long enough to mount the fan properly so i'll try it tomorrow. It's kinda funny that I can't 'silence' my case now because the process would wake my house-mates up.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:29 am

JVM wrote:

This is what I found, the SOnata 120mm fan can be heard even at 5volts. Not so much air noise, but a sorta muted drone.

The Evercool has more turblence noise, but it also moves more air and has no drone. But the Evercool at 900RPM (less than 5 volts which is 1150RPM) moves more air than the Sonata fan at 5volts and can't be heard from my sitting position. Also the exhaust air is much cooler for some reason.

How are you able to use a fanmate with the Sonata fan? The Sonata fan has a 4-pin connection and fanmate accepts only a 3-pin connection.
1) Use a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter

-or-

2) Rewire the fan with a new 3-pin connector.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:34 am

JVM wrote:
GamingGod wrote:I 5v my 120mm antec fan and it is now inaudible unless you put ur ear right beside it
How did you 5 volt the Sonata fan? I know the Sonata has a 4-pin connection and Zalman's fanmate has 3-pin connections.
Do the "5 volt mod" to the fan's molex connector and connect it to one of the regular 4-pin molex connectors on the PSU.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:25 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
JVM wrote:

1) Use a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter

-or-

2) Rewire the fan with a new 3-pin connector.
Oh, thank you so much. What a simple solution. :)

And thank you for the link. I very much appreciate the happy news.

Bad news is they are out of stock. :(

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:48 pm

JVM wrote:Oh, thank you so much. What a simple solution. :)

I'm sure you can find them in other places. Directron comes to mind and I'm sure there's plenty more as well.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:05 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
JVM wrote:Oh, thank you so much. What a simple solution. :)

I'm sure you can find them in other places. Directron comes to mind and I'm sure there's plenty more as well.
It's not a real problem since I called and was told it should be back in stock by Tuesday. I looked at Directron but they only have a 3-4 pin adapter.

dis

Post by dis » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:33 am

Does anyone know how the Evercool fan reacts to PWN fan controllers? I've heard people saying that PWN controllers can cause fans to become noisy and i'm using some 120mm Panaflo's at the moment which sometimes emit a high pitched schreech when i'm using my fan controller (usually i just have to move the dial to find a spot the fans like) though it could just be that they're getting worn out (fans were second hand).

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:36 am

Tobias wrote:I don´t know, I don´t think anyone has tested the L-fan. I think that the M version will be more quiet for all cfm levels.
The only version I have found in the US is:

EverCool FAN-AL12025B low noise case fan, Silver, Aluminum. Look at this outstanding case fan: an insurance for your system. Recommended for all systems. Maximum reliability and long life-time. Strongly protect your case.

Features & Specifications: Dimensions: 120L x 120W x 25H mm. Voltage: DC 12V. Fan Speed: 2000 RPM. Current: 0.34A. Air Flow: 79.14 CFM. Air Pressure: 2.83. Noise: <30 dBA. Input: 4.08 W. Bearing Type: One ball bearing.

Is that the L model? Does your M model have 1 or 2 ball bearings?

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:06 am

That's the only version I have ever seen. It's the M (medium) version.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:17 am

HaloJones wrote:That's the only version I have ever seen. It's the M (medium) version.
There is a difference with what is shown on: http://www.adpmods.com/xcart/customer/p ... =20&page=1

Notice the different spec for A Rated Output and also Noise Level compared to what I stated above: (Features & Specifications: Dimensions: 120L x 120W x 25H mm. Voltage: DC 12V. Fan Speed: 2000 RPM. Current: 0.34A. Air Flow: 79.14 CFM. Air Pressure: 2.83. Noise: <30 dBA. Input: 4.08 W. Bearing Type: One ball bearing.)

120mm x 120mm x 25mm
3 Pin TX3 Power Connector
2000 RPM
79.14 CFM Air Flow
Noise Level <36 dBA
12v DC
0.38 A Rated Current
Ball Bearing
Retail Packaged

And the above is stated to be the "M" model where the other one I mentioned has a different model number designation of "B" - somewhat confusing.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:36 pm

I´ve seen those numbers before as well, I even found them on evercools site. This was a while ago, though. The only numbers one can find today is

www.evercool.com.tw/products/al3.htm

I think that the fan might have attained a second revision without Evercool givving notice to it. I don´t seem to recollect that there was any screws included, which would support that theory. On the other hand, it might be my memory being clogged.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:24 pm

Tobias wrote:I´ve seen those numbers before as well, I even found them on evercools site. This was a while ago, though. The only numbers one can find today is

www.evercool.com.tw/products/al3.htm

I think that the fan might have attained a second revision without Evercool givving notice to it. I don´t seem to recollect that there was any screws included, which would support that theory. On the other hand, it might be my memory being clogged.
Look here: http://www.evercool.com.tw/index_eng.htm

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:38 am

Exactly what do you mean to point to? The Url never changes when one is surfing their homepage, so a little specification would be great:)

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:07 am

Tobias wrote:Exactly what do you mean to point to? The Url never changes when one is surfing their homepage, so a little specification would be great:)
Don't know what happened. Click Products, Case Fans, then EC12025 and while it's the plastic fan version, I believe the same specs as aluminum. It does show L,M,H and specs that correlate to what we are discussing.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:58 pm

CoolColJ wrote:Well I finally have a 4 pin to 3 pin cable so I can finally control my Antec Sonata stock 120mm fan with my Zalman Fan controller.

With the Evercool and Antec fan at 5volts. the Evercool is louder, mostly air rushing turbelence sounds - air rushing roar. But when I put both against my face, the Evercool is sure pushing a ton more air.

The hum levels seems about the same, but the roar makes the Evercool a few DBs louder. The Antec fan has this faint "ticking or rattling sound" very faint though, sorta like a chatter, but you can't hear it unless your ear is right up against it or standing directly behind the case.

The Evercool can run at lower volts than 5, if I double up a Fanmate as mentioned above, and then runs a lot quieter, but it always has more air turblence, and at 3 volts or so doesn't move much air.
The CPU temp does rise 2-3 degrees when I do so. At 4 volts it still moves a lot of air, but not bad noise wise, around 1000 RPM.

So I'm not so sure if it's as good for someone who want's real quietness. But if you want a fairly quiet fan at low voltage that still moves a lot of air then it's a good one.
I certainly can barely hear it from where I sit, well my whole system in general :)
For someone who wants quietness, would the stock Antec rear case fan be a better choice than the Evercool?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:37 pm

The Evercool came today. Those are huge holes for mounting. Are the screws supposed to go through the deep frame next to the screws holding in the fan? How do you mount this fan?

Elliot
Patron of SPCR

Post by Elliot » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:21 pm

The screws come from the outside and don't go very deep into those huge holes. The screws are self-threading - you have to apply a little bit of force when you screw them for the first time (don't use those tiny precision screwdrivers).

The screws seemed too short when I first saw them. They turned out to be long enough to mount the fan AND the fan grill.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:45 pm

Elliot wrote:The screws come from the outside and don't go very deep into those huge holes. The screws are self-threading - you have to apply a little bit of force when you screw them for the first time (don't use those tiny precision screwdrivers).

The screws seemed too short when I first saw them. They turned out to be long enough to mount the fan AND the fan grill.
I'll have to check and see how those screws will fit through the holes in my Sonata. I was planning to use a 120mm fan washer. Did you mount the fan straight in or use something in between?

Elliot
Patron of SPCR

Post by Elliot » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:24 pm

Actually, I haven't mounted the fan with screws yet. The fan currently sits in 3700AMB's plastic fan holders. I have to cut out the stamped grill and drill the mounting holes in the right place.

I only tried the screws outside the case - I attached chrome fan grill to the fan just to check how well the parts fit together. After the screws gripped the fan strongly enough, I checked the remaining clearance. I'm pretty sure it was enough to accommodate the thickness of the case metal.