GPU Cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cams
Friend of SPCR

GPU Cooler

Post by Cams » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:16 am

Hello,

I'm new to the concept of silent PCs but am already too far gone for redemption. I just fitted a Zalman flower HS (6500B ALCU) to my P4 and am really happy with the performance on my P4a (Willamette) 2.0 GHz (oc 2.1 GHz), even with the fan at its lowest setting.

Of course now I can hear just how darn noisy my PSU and GPU are and I want to do something about it!

I've read the reviews of PSUs on this site and am more or less persuaded that the Zalman ZM300A-APF will best suit my needs, but I'm not so clear about the GPU.

I Have a Leadtek GF3 Ti500 - would the ZM80A GPU HS be sufficient to cool my GPU without a fan? If possible I'd rather not have to try fitting another fan to the fan bracket that came with the flower cooler for reasons of space.

All help and comments welcome.

Cheers,
Cams

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:42 am

The favorite for quiet power supplys seems to be the nexus 300w right now, although a seasonic is a good cheaper alternative, and you can always mod it with a quieter fan if you still think its too loud. Im sure someone will be along shortly to tell you if you can run your Ti500 without a fan, but personally, I would just go ahead and put some kind of light airflow over it, just to be safe.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:12 am

1) Some stock Zalman might have coil buzz problem. It is acknowledged in their Korean site and they are doing massive return on it. I would recommend staying away from one for another few months while stocks runs out.
2) I have no exposure to Nexus but I know seasonic can be quieted down to extremety with fan swap. Mine with Vantech Stealth fan is quietest thing in my case (other than airflow noise it generates... nothing I can do about)
3) Unless overclocked Zalman passive coolers do work quite well if a little hotter.