My PC on the wall

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Algernon

My PC on the wall

Post by Algernon » Sat May 29, 2004 9:00 pm

My computer used be in my dad's old Gateway case. It was pretty ugly and didn't have very good air circulation. I decided to make my first custom case. I saw somebody's computer who had their computer on the wall, on some other forum, and he said it was almost silent and it looked pretty cool. I then decided to build my own case wall computer thingy.

Specs are:

AMD 2100+ Tbread OC @ 2gig
BioStar M7NCD Nforce2 Motherboard
Creative PCI 128 Sound Card
Albatron MX440-8x 64mb 128bit 360/460
Maxtor 40 gig HD
Aopen CD-R
some other 40x cd-rom drive
256mb of Kingmax 433 DDR
350 watt PSU

this computer is super quiet. I've done the 5 volt mod on the CPU & GPU fans and you cant hear them unless you put your ear right up to them. The harddrive is very queit also.

I took the casing off the PSU and cut an old AMD heatsink in half and slapped it on both of the PSU heatsinks. I have been running this PC for about 4 months now and haven't had any problems

i have also done the duct mod on the CPU. It gave me 5C cooler. and it also made it a little quieter.

Temps are: No load = 32C 100% load = 41C

here's the pics
now all i need is another stick of ram and some rounded IDE cables and i'll be set. :D

nannygoat

Post by nannygoat » Sun May 30, 2004 1:06 pm

Nice work Algernon; good to see someone else with a mobo nailed to their wall!
Looking at your CPU temps though, are you sure you can't run it passive? I'd guess that, fitted with one of the better performing heatsinks it would be fine - same goes for the video card, though you could rotate the whole thing through 90 degrees so the hot air from the GPU doesnt't affect the CPU.
Also, I'd suggest that it's a matter of when, rather than if, the open PSU takes the life of an innocent. I've got my PSU on the wall, with the fan removed and with the vents appropriately aligned with the vertical axis and it barely gets warm.
Finally, try tidying the wires behind the wood (maybe drill a few holes?).
Here's my very own wall-86:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=12624

Algernon

Post by Algernon » Sun May 30, 2004 1:49 pm

i have tried to run the CPU with passive cooling but the temps got up to 55C and was still climbing when i tested it in Sandra. I think in the future im goign to get a Thermalright heatsink with tose heatpipes. Maybe that'll work.
I did have the PSU enclosed before but it got so hot it scared me. the casing itself was fairly warm to touch.

Wow you just made me good idea. I think i'll put the casing back on and cut out holes in the tops for the heatsinks and maybe cut some slits in the sides for increased ventillation. And then nobody could get hurt also. THanks nannygoat. :D

lol, your pc is awesome. we should make a club or something

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:23 am

I agree, please put the PSU cover back on -- it makes me squeamish just looking at it. Talk about an accident waiting to happen.

As for the PSU heat with the cover, it's gotta be cooler than when it was in the case. In the case you're pumping hot air through it, out of the case you're putting ambient air through it.

Dave