It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Will this power supply keep quiet in my toasty case?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:22 am 

Being disappointed with the noise level on my Enermax EG301P-VB FM, I took a look at the recommended silent power supplies list on SPCR and found that the Nexus NX-3000 might suit my needs.

The thing is, because I believe my my case is hotter than usual (thanks to my Palamino core Athlon) I'm worried that if I get one of these silent PSUs, the fan will just speed up to the same noise levels as my Enermax in response to the heat. Are my fears unfounded?

Also, the specifications for the -12V and -5V rails shown here are a lot lower than my Enermax. Could this cause a problem? I don't really understand what the negative rails do.

Here are my current idling temp/RPM stats
CPU: 54 degrees C
MB: 39 degrees C
PSU fan: about 3000 rpm, though it gets to 3150 when my room is hot/stuffy, which it often gets

Also, I would consider the Seasonic Super Tornado 300 or the Seasonic Super Silencer 300 if not for the fact that I'm not sure if the ones NCIX carries are the latest revisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:42 pm 

While my situation (temperature-wise) isn't QUITE as bad as yours, (ca. 47 idle - P4 3.4 GHz Prescott with SP-94 and 92mm L1A), I get to 54 *C quite quickly as well, and my mobo temps are around high 30's (37+), so similar to you.

I am using the Enermax Noisetaker 475 - that critter is running at the lowest volume setting (rock-solid), and is as quiet as ... something pretty darn quiet :).

Might be of some benefit?

Pre-Noisetaker 475 review I was a bit wary of Enermax PSU's (in regards to silence), but it seems that the Noisetaker 475 really does deliver :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:17 pm 

Do you have the AX model? If you do, do you keep both fans on?

NCIX has a Noisetaker 375, which I assume would be at least as quiet as yours. Thanks for the suggestion.