athlon with no fan?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tonsil

athlon with no fan?

Post by tonsil » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:40 am

I've underclocked and undervolted my athlon 1.33Ghz cpu to 585Mhz and to 1.30V (from ~1.75V).
Doing the calculation:
Default Watts * (Clocked Mhz / Default Mhz) * (clocked Vcore / Default Vcore)^2, gives me max 17 wattages.

Is that possible to passively cool with a heatsink like ax-7, slk-600 or a zalman flower, if it lies in the open, outside a case, with no airflow support?

snowmoon

Post by snowmoon » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:44 am

At 17 watts I think it would be a good idea to have a fan of some sort. Any 5v 80mm fan should do just fine and be almost completly inaudible. Without the fan you run the risk of killing the CPU in a blaze of glory.

tonsil

Post by tonsil » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:16 am

I read you, and fooled around some more and hit rock-bottom at
495Mhz (5.5 * 90Mhz) and 1.22 as Vcore, surprisingly it's very stable too.
Theoretically that would give 70*(495/1330)*(1.22/1.75)^2 = 12.66 watts, which ought to be in line with passive cooling..
However the formula might be flawed, so I dunno. Perhaps I should try?

Anyhow, I'm trying to minimize the amount of components needing acoustic dampening, that includes any fan IMO.
Being able to run the entire MB outside a damped box would be really nice :)

jhh

Post by jhh » Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:37 pm

Since you're not so concerned with performance have you considered a passively cooled Via CPU?

Acording to SPCR (MikeC I think), a 5v 80L can only maybe be heard at 2 feet by someone with very good ears. A good thermalright heatsink would manage given one of these fans without the need for such drastic underclocking. If that's still too loud, you could try somthing like 3v

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:52 pm

In order to use passive cooling, it really helps to have a heatsink that is designed explicitly for passive cooling. For example, passive heatsinks generally have their fins much further apart from one another than heatsinks intended for use with forced air, which makes convective air movement through the fins easier.

So, if you use a DIY solution made explicitly for passive cooling like bluehat then you can certainly passively cool your CPU. If you want to use a retail solution, I'd say that one of the later model Zalman flowers* would be your best bet, although they're certainly no guarantee of success.

* I believe you'd want the AlCu models rather than the Cu models, since aluminum is supposed to be more effective at dissipating heat than copper, although copper is more effective at absorbing heat. You might want to try spreading the fins out manually on it as well. Zalman's website does mention a flower cooler explicitly designed for cooling C3's passively; if you can find that one for sale, you might do alright with it.

tonsil

replay to jhh;

Post by tonsil » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:15 pm

> Since you're not so concerned with performance have you considered a passively cooled Via CPU?

The only demand I have on the CPU is that it must be capable to decode lossless encoded BONK files (a CPU hungry audio format) in realtime. If a Via C3 (only Ezra available in sweden) coops with that, then it's a very interesting choice indeed!

> a 5v 80L can only maybe be heard at 2 feet by someone with very good ears.

If it produces noise it will be in a damped case - the end :wink:
Even though that's a good and final solution, it would produce unnecessary heat which naturally is something to avoid if possible.

jhh

Post by jhh » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:09 pm

It depends on if the BONK format does mainly integer or float calculations. If it's integer I recon a 800MHz ezra woul be fine.

I've never heard of BONK - does it offer very high compression and audio quality? What are the file sized like?

When you say CPU intensive, how intensive are you talking? My cpmputer is currently playing a 177bps wma file with CPU utilisation hovering around 6-10% Unless it's very unusually intensive I'd be suprised if a modern processor couldn't handle it. This setup is a 2GHz athlon with only a ducted 3v fan and Zalman flower cooler, CPU is 52 degrees c, which is quite safe.

tonsil

Post by tonsil » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:34 am

It's integer calculations. The source can be found at http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~pfh/bonk/

Comparisons to other lossless formats:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/comparison.html
As one can see, bonk doesn't perform that well in regards to cpu time. But it's reliable and has a small code base - a thousand lines or so.

I came to the conclusion that I'm going for a via and if it can't coop with bonk/flac, then I'll simply go with wav files, that it must be able to play :)

jhh

Post by jhh » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:36 am

If it's integer then I'd say via. Much of the Athlon's speed comes from it's fpu.

To be honest, buying and unerclocking an athlon to run on less power is like putting a speed restrictor on a Lamboughini (sp?) for fuel economy.

Whereas the via is a new beetle. Or somthing.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:48 am

jhh wrote:a 5v 80L can only maybe be heard at 2 feet by someone with very good ears.
That's in free air, blow it over a HS or anything and air turbulance can be heard from far away. More so on a completely open case.. :D

Maybe he could try a panaflo @4v or less if it starts that is..