Question about the Sonata for those who have it..

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Hellspawn

Question about the Sonata for those who have it..

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:07 pm

Found the Sonata in stock at Newegg, it will be delivered on Tuesday.. Question, is the 120mm fan using fan isolators to mount it to the case, or is it only the HD? Can't really tell in the description or mechanical drawing on Antec's site and they are closed today.. As a side note, is anyone here using the OCZ passive copper heatsink by itself on a 2.0a northwood P4?

thanks

pcweltz

Post by pcweltz » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:24 pm

The 120mm does use isolators, and there are an extra set in the screw bag for the front 120mm.....however, they are extremely soft rubber. My Sonata arrived from Newegg (only 2 days in transit) with the 120mm hanging by only 1 isolator....the other three had been snapped off during shipping. There was zero box damage, so I can only assume that the isolators are really weak.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:33 pm

Well I should have it by noon on Tuesday so I'll be anxious to see how they are on mine.. Right now my system has a an antec truepower 330 dual fan, radeon 9700pro with zalman zm80A, OCZ passive eliminator copper heatsink (no fan) (p4 2.0a runs about 45c with it), vantec stealth 80mm * 2 powered by the 'fan power' lead from the antec p/s. Zalman passive northbridge cooler. The loudest noise is from the maxtor 120gb DM9+ when it seeks.. Sounds like a coffee can full of nails. When it's idle you can't hear the system in a quiet house from about 4 feet away at all. There is a lot of noise from those 2 80mm fans, even though they are quiet. The 80mm are turning about 2000rpm, I'm hoping to get the 120mm fan down to maybe 1200, who knows.. Ambient case temp now is about 90f, hard disc is 95f, cpu about 45c or so..