PC locks up in standby mod!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frosty

PC locks up in standby mod!

Post by frosty » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:53 am

Any help is appreciated.

My pc locks up 3 times straight after booting up, I usually leave it on most of the time. Now I have to restart it by shutting off the cpu rocker switch which I hate to do, and then reboot and go into what I want to do right away.

Should I disable the power shutdown/standby schemes or do you think I need to reinstall 98 SE?

TIA

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:37 am

Frosty, we really need some specs of your computer to be able to help you. Freezing computers can be the result of a bucketload of things, both hardware and software related.

Maybe you should just change your SPCR name -- maybe that's what causes the freezes ;)

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:01 pm

Also - what troubleshooting have you done?

Is your memory flaky (i.e. - have you run memory benchmarks for a few hours without problems)?

Could it be temps?

Could it be power ...?

Could it be HD corruption or somesuch?

Etc. Etc...

A bit of info would help :).

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:09 am

I remember, that when mine oldie Abit ST6R mobo go to the powersaving mod, it never wake up - ever except hard reboot :lol:
Win2k used, SP1 selected in bios and stuff... :?
I quess that for some mobos it simply don't work out. Solution? Disable powersaving into control pannel (any winblows) and be happy :wink: Or buy better mobo, or chack bios settings, or/and complain to the mobo maker... :?

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:32 am

I am a dumb terd, thought I’d clicked onto my sig to appear. /edit see age post. hehehe

Actually I found a few precious moments last night and had to boot into safe mod.

Some weird exe was also loading upon regualr bootup and so I recalled its name and renamed it while in safe mod.

I rebooted in regular mod and found my screen saver was on for one minute?

Also I had standby to kick in at 5 minutes and hard drive to shut down in 5.

I disabled all energy savers and set to zero, put no screen saver, I don’t recall ever setting up a screensaver, virus? I then ran Norton antivirus.

Did a shutdown, bootup and set hard drive only to shut down/standby at 5 minutes and left the other settings to never. The Athlon tends to shut down both fr and exhaust fans anyways after it is cool enough.

Is working fine now! Maybe I got a virus, I dunno. Weird.