Sirtec 340W w/ undervolted Papst or just a Nexus3000?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

El_Duderino

Sirtec 340W w/ undervolted Papst or just a Nexus3000?

Post by El_Duderino » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:34 am

Hi, I have fitted my Sirtec 340W with a Papst 80 mm at 12V, and while I was initially very pleased with the results, the noise has been increasing of late (or maybe I'm just getting more picky).

I cut out the stamped grill, but now I'm thinking along the lines of undervolting the Papst using a zalman fanmate. I am also considering using a 5-7V Papst as an intake fan near the front, blowing air towards the PSU intake vents.

Then again, I might just go for a Nexus 3000 instead. Does anyone have an idea which is the better move? Is a Nexus really noticably more quiet than a PSU with an undervolted (8-10V, I probably wouldn't dare to go below that :-)) Papst?

Thanks for any help... (Btw, my setup basically consists of an [email protected] with an undervolted Arctic Cooling Super Silent, a CudaV and a Matrox G400.)

El_Duderino

Post by El_Duderino » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:08 pm

Well, the Papst in the PSU is now on a zalman fanmate. Sadly, the noise is still there - it's sort of a high pitch rattling more than plain fan whoosh. The fan doesn't do that when it's not in the case, and when I lower the voltage it gradually, but quickly disappears. The snag is I have to turn it way down, and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to leave the fan on that low a voltage... Dang.

Pointers, anyone? :-)

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:21 pm

I kinda have that too. I think decoupling would be the best solution...

I also get a significant amount of "woosh" noise coming from my PSU. Do you have this also?

El_Duderino

Post by El_Duderino » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:34 pm

No, no "woosh".... more like a "drrrrrrrr". Well, the "woosh" is there, but I don't mind the "woosh". In fact, I'll take "woosh" over "drrrrr" any day.

Hate the "drrrrrrr"!

(I've got to stop watching those old Seinfeld episodes. They're really getting to me...)

El_Duderino

Post by El_Duderino » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:57 pm

On a serious note, I think decoupling is the way to go.

The foam trick won't work, my PSU is too crammed, so I'm going to have to go out and get a couple of those hideously overpriced rubber thingies... :-(

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:17 pm

El_Duderino,

Have you visted this thread? http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=3286. Foam earplugs work well if you can get the longer ones.

El_Duderino

Post by El_Duderino » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:32 am

D'OH!

I just ordered the HORTs yesterday. I did get an Alpha PL045T (you know, that one) as well, so it wasn't a complete waste... :-)