Good Case For Water Cooling

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheDarkHacker

Good Case For Water Cooling

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:38 pm

Does anyone know of a nice case for a watercooling system. I want it to have 2 80mm fans in the back and a 80mm or above fan in the front. Also does anyone know of a case that has 2 120mm case fans in the back. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Good Case For Water Cooling

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:55 pm

TheDarkHacker wrote:I want it to have 2 80mm fans in the back and a 80mm or above fan in the front.
That's too many cases to start discussing. What components are you planning to use?
TheDarkHacker wrote:Also does anyone know of a case that has 2 120mm case fans in the back.
The Lite-On FS020 is the only one (excluding server cubes, etc.) that springs to mind, and it is now out of production IIRC.

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:00 pm

Follow the link for the Liteon FS020 I gave you in your other case thread to buy it if Coolcases doesn't have it.

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:08 pm

Here is a list on the components I am planning on using.

CPU Block: Danger Den 1/2in RBX
GPU Block: Danger Den 1/2in Maze 4 Grahics Block
NB Block: Danger Den 1/2 Maze 4 Chipset Block
Pump: IWAKI MD-20RZT
Reservoir: Dual 3 1/2 Bay Reservoir
Radiator: Danger Den Black Ice II Xtreme Radiator With Dual 120mm Fans or Danger Den Double Heater Core
Danger Den Spray Accelant Nozzels
1/2in Tygon Tubing
Water Additive: Zerex Racing Super Coolant From Danger Den

What go you think about this and do you have any recommendations about the components

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:11 pm

Sorry for the very slow reply, DH. I haven't been keeping up with the site very well this week. Hope I'm not too late to help.

That setup sounds pretty good. If you're just buying your pieces now, you should think about the TDX instead of the RBX, but the differences are pretty minor. Bay reservoirs don't have a great reputation because they're a bit short for good bleeding and people seem to have more leaks with them for some reason. Finally, for the ultimate in quiet, a thinner radiator (e.g. Black Ice Pro 2) will let you undervolt your fans a bit more.

You are definitely going to need big case for all that stuff, particularly the Iwaki and the double core. Look at the FS020, the Chenbro Genie, full towers, and cube cases. Two sites with a bunch of good pictures are Coolcases and Servercase.

Keep us posted!

dis

Post by dis » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:14 am

With some modification an Antec 3700 can work well with a similar setup.

The lower HDD cage can be removed and the rad + fans palced there with a nice 120mm exhaust out the front of the case. The only real sticking points are mounting a bay res (antec use guider rails that may not match the screwholes on the res) and where to put the pump. The pump can fit alongside the PCI slots but depending what cards are in there it may be a tight fit.