Advantages to a Quiet PC?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

intx

Advantages to a Quiet PC?

Post by intx » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:40 am

Since we're all quiet pc enthusiasts here.. or should be!

I'm curious, what are the advantages to having a quiet pc that appeal to you? I have trouble explaining to people the reasons :)

There's the alternative arguement:
1. It's not worth the money and time for a slight noise reduction.
2. Airconditioning is much louder.
3. Conversation is much louder.
4. Ambient noise is much louder.

The reasons I usually use, which don't always apply:
1. Lower ambient noise = lower conversation volume = long term ear protection
2. The PC is in your bedroom, how are you supposed to sleep?
3. Noise disrupts concentration

aston

Re: Advantages to a Quiet PC?

Post by aston » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:15 pm

intx wrote:I'm curious, what are the advantages to having a quiet pc that appeal to you?
It makes me feel snooty and elitist and superior to the uncultured, noisy PC-owning masses, and I like that.

:P

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:32 pm

intx

You could add many more reasons:

When you have a quiet PC at or below the level of ambient noise, the sheer sense of luxury and "smoothness" is indescribable to those who have not experienced it. I use the word smooth, and I mean it in much the way a 2Ghz system feels smoother than a 1Ghz one. There's such a sense of ease that everything you do on/with the PC is so much smoother, easier, more relaxed.

It's like driving or riding in a fast, quiet, comfortable, new car compared to... an early turbo diesel Mercedes that has been driven on potholed roads for 20 years? :lol:

Aside from hearing damage, which is not that much of a risk even with fairly loud PCs (admittedly the worst are pretty dang loud!) there is the reduction of stress. >40 dBA of machine noise day-in, day-out, is a lot of stress. People don't realize how much it adds to their overall stress... until they power the PC off and sigh with relief. We are effective at tuning out unwanted noise, if it not TOO loud, but we pay a price. Part of our mind is engaged in suppressing that noise, and that is the cause of stress.

Here's a question to act as your answer:

Do you feel a sense of relief when you turn your computer off? Conversely, how much strain does this suggest you're actually under when the PC is on?

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:34 pm

Advantages?

Folding/Video Encoding/Downloading while sleeping.

People coming into my room and wondering if my computer is on.

The ability to help people DIY their own computers with advice.

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:08 pm

Other advantages:
-Better productivity.
-Better enjoyment of your computer audio. HTPCs, anyone?
-People think you're more refined. Unless you have bling-bling all over your case, that is.
-People don't know you have the computer on all the time. So you appear less of a geek.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:46 pm

If you are bothered by the noise, that's all the justification needed.
But some answers to the possible objections:

1. It's not worth the money and time for a slight noise reduction.
- noise reduction can be dramatic, cost can be minimal - especially for a new system
2. Airconditioning is much louder.
- unless you don't use it
3. Conversation is much louder.
- but conversational volume is proportional to ambient noise
4. Ambient noise is much louder
- not if you live in a quiet place, plus the PC contributes to the ambient
tempeteduson wrote: -People don't know you have the computer on all the time. So you appear less of a geek.
LOL

hero

Post by hero » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:49 pm

1. It's a great hobby that helps keep you on top of the latest technology and like any hobby gives you a sense of accomplishment when you've done well.

2. Music production. I'd say a large percentage of silent PC enthusiasts are at least hobbiest audio producers. Of course, now that I can't hear my PC, I can hear the leaves rustling when it's windy (even through dual pane windows) and the street noise, but a $15 fan and a few square feet of melamine won't fix that will it?

greeef

Post by greeef » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:01 am

I've always hated loud pcs, i don't like technology that intrudes on ones life unnecesarily. For example, me and my little brother always stop the microwave with 1 second to go, just so we don't need to undergo all that beeping.

I want my life to be beautiful and perfect and calm, and i want my technology to be the same. Loud pcs are simply inelegant.

Secondly, I am an overclocker as well, just cos i'm a pc enthusiast. Silencing is all about temperature management, as is overclocking. Silencers just tend to live at the more intelligient end of the pc users spectrum, and come up with the best solutions i've yet found.

griff

sppenguin

Post by sppenguin » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:03 pm

overclocking is like sword fighting
silencing is fencing. Though it may not be percieved as 'strong' we have a helluva lot more finese, class, brains, and style.

I appreciate music, and quality (being a classically trained musician, it's not hard to imagine why) matters. The noise a loud computer generates just takes away from any audio expirience. Be it listening to a nice classical or modern piece, to playing some counter-strike and warcraft III, i would just prefer to hear what i want to hear.

Having a loud tower in a room, is like having an airhorn in an orchestra. Though it may have some novel value, and you may think you can get used to it, the question is, why should you. My computer performs BETTEr now that i have tried my best to silence it

Also silencing looks for solutions to problems, not just solutions [let me explain]
Instead of "oh my, my computer is hot. Let me just run 100000 CFm's of air.. it may be loud, but this will be an adequate solution" Except for the fact that now you ahve a loud and really dusty machine, and you've not only lowered your quality of life in that specific room, but you've lowered the life of your components.
With silencing [and it's wonderful offshots of case manipulation and ducting] you get to find solutions. Why is my case so hot is what you question, not how can i make it cooler. Hence you find longer-term solutions.

Lastly, a lot of people buy pc's from companies, just case they see user machines that are loud, rather ugly looking, and just not worth having in the home. They believe that it is impossible to have a clean looking and silent case without going to a big company professional. And to fight that belief alone that only 'professionals' can make 'nice' [in the typical consumer sense] computers is worth silencing.

Putz

Post by Putz » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:09 pm

My reasons:

a) To feed my obsessive compulsive behaviour tendencies.

b) To be a proud member of this community.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:04 pm

It's 100% personal preference, and I simply like my PCs quiet. Unlike my cars, stereos, and women.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:00 am

For example, me and my little brother always stop the microwave with 1 second to go, just so we don't need to undergo all that beeping.
.. :shock: ... Not just me then... :oops: :oops: :oops:
To feed my obsessive compulsive behaviour tendencies
What ever do you mean ?... :roll:

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:31 am

well....

nothing quite compares to turning down a noisy fan. Feels good, so good. Just let the noise enthusiasts try that.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:20 am

...but would most drivers prefer a silent car if they could have one (with normal performance)?

I wonder if a lot of drivers don't actually like the sound of their car engine.

Maybe some people like the roar of a V8 pc psu.

bchung

Post by bchung » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:29 am

Personally, I find that it is a quality statement.

Higher quality items tend to work better and less intrusively. Just like a Swatch doesn't sound, look or feel like a Patek Philippe.

It just so happens that the highest quality in PCs aren't available in a form that is acceptable to most folks on SPCR. So we make our own high quality PCs. PCs that are quiet and elegant. Compact but functional and expandable.

As long as we are talking personally, I don't think water cooling is cheating. But I do think anything that doesn't fit in your box is something i would avoid.

If I have explained myself poorly, I'll try post some picks of my in-progress water cooling rig contained in a short 3U rack chassis.

Thats space for 11x6 radiator (with 2x120mms) a DVD/CD drive, 2 HDs, high end gfx card, an ATX board and stowage for spare parts.

intx

Post by intx » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:01 pm

The HushPC is in a nice form, at least in my opinion.. excluding the price tag anyway :D

I agree, water cooling is definately not cheating. If it works effectively (cool and quiet), and will work for you, I see no reason not to use it.