Zalman 5700?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HelLios

Zalman 5700?

Post by HelLios » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:47 am

Hi,

I'm going to buy a new heatsink for my p4 2.4ghz
I'm not sure if I should buy a zalman 6500alcu or a zalman 5700..
Anyone here that could help me?

Greetings

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:08 am

I recently had the same dilemma. The CNPS 5700D seems to run quieter than the 6500B but I felt that the 6500B would give better cooling, even the ALCU model, so that's what I went for.

YMMV though.

I think the 5700D would perhaps be the better option if you were to direct the ducting fan towards an outtake fan but I don't have one of those.

FWIW, I bought mine from Doc Micro where the 5700D and 6500B ALCU are both €39 (6500B CU is €53) - all prices incl. VAT. They ship to Belgium. (no affilliation other than as a customer)

I'm happy with the noise level and cooling performance on my P4a (Willamette) 2.0GHz OCd to 2.1GHz with the 92mm fan supplied with the flower at its lowest setting.

Now to research PSUs and GPU coolers. This site is really good for that sort of thing!

Let us know what you decide!

Cams

HelLios

Post by HelLios » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:13 am

Because it took so long for someone to reply I went for the 6500 alcu :)
Still waiting though, it should arive next week or so..
Still tnx ;)
Greetings

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:25 am

I went for the 6500 alcu
You too huh? Let us know what you think of it.

My P4 is of the older Willamette ilk which, according to the manual, should have the fan set to high - it seems fine at low for me though, thank goodness.

BTW, where to you order your online PC purchases? Just curious...

Cheers,
Cams

HelLios

Post by HelLios » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:12 am

finally got my 6500 alcu :)
And I'm really happy with it.. Wasn't easy to install it though, cut my finger while taking of the intel cooler.. Also my mobo power supply was really close to the cpu so now the "wings" of the zalman toutch it but everything works well it seems..
Temps dropped but that wasn't the main reason for buying this one. Noise was the main reason, and that was alot better :)
I also detatched the cooler on my geforce 4 ti 4200 and al works fine, I don't see any white spots or anything. The side casefan blows at 7volt on the card.
Another question: the video card fan is still on my gpu, should I take if of or should leave it this way; everything works well..

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:45 am

Hey, congratulations! This is only the beginning...
HelLios wrote:finally got my 6500 alcu :)
Another question: the video card fan is still on my gpu, should I take if of or should leave it this way; everything works well..
What d'you mean when you say you detached the cooler from your GPU? You mean the heatsink? I wouldn't recommend running the video card with no cooler - I've just ordered the Zalman heatsink (ZM80A-HP) for my vid card and plan on running an 80mm Papst fan.

HelLios

Post by HelLios » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:52 am

the fan on the gpu was just connected with a fan connection on the board, it just released the plug. I just toutched it, the fan gets hot now but not "really hot". The fan is just so damn noisy. Is it really that bad for the card? It's not overclocked..
Can i run it at 7 volt? How do you do that when you've got a 3pin fan connector?