My build spec - final thoughts before I buy?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Is this a good overall spec?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:15 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Dunno
No votes

Total votes: 7

IdontexistM8

My build spec - final thoughts before I buy?

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:15 am

Right, I hope I've got this nailed down now...

Processor - AMD64 3200+
Case - Compucase 6A19 U6
Motherboard - MSI K8T-FIS2R
PSU - Zalman ZM400B-APS
Cooler - Zalman 7000 ALCU
Memory - 1gb (Crucial)
Fans - Acoustifan 120mm x 2
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint P80 160gb SATA x 2
Monitor - LG 1710B
DVD Writer - Plextor PX-708A
CD-R - Samsung 352B
Graphics - Sapphire Radeon 9600XT
Sound Card - M-Audio Delta 1010LT
OS - XP Pro
Keyboard - Logitech or Cherry (depending on best deal)

I'll be using the Optical Intellimouse I've already got

Any final thoughts or comments before I splash the cash?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:27 am

Looks good to me.

PorBleemo

Post by PorBleemo » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:52 pm

That looks good but I would make a few suggestions.

1. Case & Power Supply: The Compucase has a larger grill for the exhaust fan which is good. (EDIT: See bottom of post.)
2. Motherboard: You might consider the Asus K8V motherboard instead of the MSI board. The reason I say this is that the Asus board has a clean track record where as the MSI board is a lot more likely to fail. I can't say any more then this as I don't own an Athlon64.
3. Memory: Instead of the Crucial memory (which undeniably is good) I would instead consider OCZ memory. I can personally attest to the quality and speed of this memory and it's also cheaper then the Crucial. Plus it has some of the lowest latencies possible, which will probably be faster then the Crucial. This will help with access time reduction. http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp ... 883-02.JPG
4. Sound Card: The M-Audio 24Bit/96Khz chipset is an excellent choise for Windows stuff and music. However last I heard it did all it's surround processing for games with software. Which takes up valuable CPU cycles, which will slow down your game (if you even game). If you don't game then fine. If you do then consider the Audigy2 LS because it has hardware processing and one of the best software packages with sound cards.
5. Video card: I personally think the 9600XT is a waste of money. It's overclocking "features" are worthless and have no impact on games. All in all it doesn't perform much better then the 9600 Pro. If you really want the extra power consider purchasing a refurbished 9700 or 9800 from NewEgg for about the same price. Keep in mind that either of those more powerful models have around 30-35dB fans so if you are a silent nut that would need a solution to fix it. ;)

Good luck with your new system and have fun! Sorry to tear it apart, but that's probably why you posted here.

-Por

EDIT: I see that you are buying the ZM400B-APS PSU which will work fine. Disregard my post about the power supply above.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:27 pm

No fair enough...better for people to flag things up now and give opinions than after I've done the money on the credit card.

On point 2 - I think it's swings and roundabouts between these boards...they seem so evenly matched and closely priced that there is little to choose between them...I opted for the MSI because it appears to have more tweakability from the desktop than the Asus and can give the cpu a boost if it needs be

3) OCZ memory in the UK is at least a third more expensive than Crucial from what I've seen and having looked over a few tests including one in a mag over here it doesn't do enough to justify the price tag.

4) Sound card is set in stone...it's a pro-audio card...nuff said.

5) The GPU is of lesser importance and the 9600XT seems appropriate at a reasonable pricing point.

The other cheapo option to slice costs was to instead go P4 2.8c...dump the second drive (for now), dump the Samsung optical...and that could save around £175.

I'm going off to do a bit more number crunching

PorBleemo

Post by PorBleemo » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:48 pm

IdontexistM8 wrote:No fair enough...better for people to flag things up now and give opinions than after I've done the money on the credit card.

On point 2 - I think it's swings and roundabouts between these boards...they seem so evenly matched and closely priced that there is little to choose between them...I opted for the MSI because it appears to have more tweakability from the desktop than the Asus and can give the cpu a boost if it needs be

3) OCZ memory in the UK is at least a third more expensive than Crucial from what I've seen and having looked over a few tests including one in a mag over here it doesn't do enough to justify the price tag.

4) Sound card is set in stone...it's a pro-audio card...nuff said.

5) The GPU is of lesser importance and the 9600XT seems appropriate at a reasonable pricing point.

The other cheapo option to slice costs was to instead go P4 2.8c...dump the second drive (for now), dump the Samsung optical...and that could save around £175.

I'm going off to do a bit more number crunching
Ouch. I didn't know you were in the UK. Over here the OCZ is about half as much as Crucial. But I just stated my opinions, you can buy what you want and I won't force you.

-Por

Keitaro

Post by Keitaro » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Perhaps instead of the Zalman 7000 ALCU, get the 7000CU, the pure copper one. Maybe even a thermalright SLK948U with a Panaflo L1A?

Other than that, looks good

Dr.CrackEnHore

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:04 pm

I would say move up to the nvidia 5900xt. That is one of the best deals on the market right now, for around $270 CAN, or if you can find a cheap 9800pro I have seen them as low as $350. The 9600xt just doesn't pack the same price per performance range, about $240 CAN.

Speaking from experience I have the 9600XT.

Also definitely look into getting the Zalman Heatpipe for your card because these new ones are noisy.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:11 pm

Keitaro wrote:Perhaps instead of the Zalman 7000 ALCU, get the 7000CU, the pure copper one.
Based on the SPCR review, the extra money for the CU may not be worth it. See the review. Review: Zalman 7000-Cu / AlCu CPU Heatsink.

What makes you (Keitaro) suggest the CU over the ALCU?

Dr.CrackEnHore

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 pm

Stay away from the all copper, no need, too much weight, not good.

PiSan

Post by PiSan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:43 pm

My oced rig puts out plenty of heat and stays at a reasonable 45C at load. I doubt the pure Cu would have helped much, if at all. No reason to justify the weight or the money.

cbloss

Post by cbloss » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:10 pm

Definitely stay with the m-audio.

axhind

Post by axhind » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:56 pm

Dr.CrackEnHore wrote:Stay away from the all copper, no need, too much weight, not good.
I agree, and what's more, copper 'picks up' heat faster than alu, but it needs more airflow to get rid of it. Alu needs very little airflow to dissipate its heat into the air, so if you're using a low rpm-fan (like with this heatsink), you're better of with alu than copper.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:41 am

I agree, and what's more, copper 'picks up' heat faster than alu, but it needs more airflow to get rid of it. Alu needs very little airflow to dissipate its heat into the air, so if you're using a low rpm-fan (like with this heatsink), you're better of with alu than copper.
Oh, no don't bring this kind of old myths back to life.
There is nothing magical about heat transfer.
Copper does transfer heat better than aluminium per area. That includes both "picking up" heat and giving away heat. So the same size and shape heatsink made of copper should always do better than the similar heatsink made of aluminium. Tests with the Zalman 7000 heatsinks show no difference in forformance between the Cu and AlCu versions, sometimes even in favour to the AlCu. This does not just have to do with the material, there are lots of other factors. Like for instance that the efficiency of fans can vary 10% between samples.
From reviews we can clearly tell that the cost difference between the Cu and AlCu version of the 7000 does not justify buying the Cu version.

To be objective I should point out the pros with Aluminium as well:
It weights a lot less than copper.
Per weight it transferes more heat than copper.
It is a lot cheaper than copper.
It is easier to work with in manufacturing processes, so the total cost of finished products are less.

In general it is bad to produce with mix of metals since you get more material joins, but in reallity we see very good performance compared to weight and cost on all AlCu heatsinks. In fact I use AlCu heatsinks on most of my computers and are very satisfied with the performance.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:16 pm

IdontexistM8, How did this work out for you? Specifically, I have the same case and the Zalman 7000Cu and I'm wondering if the side vent duct will have enough clearance for the Zalman heat sink.

Okatha

Post by Okatha » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:32 pm

What made you decide on the MSI K8T-FIS2R instead of the MSI Neo Platinum? I've decided on the 3200+ as well, so just curious.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:35 pm

Nevermind, I found this post by Ralf.

Incidentally, my 6A19 came with a Compucase PSU. I assumed it came with none unless specified.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:28 am

Re: Wedge and Okatha

I postponed the build because of money and decided to get bits and bobs I could use in the here and now. These included stuff like a hard drive and optical drives (all currently in external cases), plus a portable usb sound card.

The build will still probably happen this year depends on cash and the component market.

bomba

Post by bomba » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:37 am

Why not go w/ a Seasonic Super Silencer rev A3? 300 watts should be sufficient.

I've no experience w/the 120mm Accoustifans, but iirc, Edward Ng pointed out some inconsistencies with 'em. The 120mm sleeve bearing Globe fans are cheap & have received favorable comments from SPCR moderators!

irt SATA hard drives, ensure you will be able to configure acoustic management to quiet the seeks. If in doubt, go w/ the PATA equivalent, better value anyway.

Finally, my comment on the graphics card is just the opposite of the comments so far. The XT cards generally have cooling fans, either go for an "ultimate" w/ passive cooling or consider a garden variety 9600-128 w/ passive heatsink. Unless you're a serious gamer or graphics pro, these cards will suit you fine.

NeilBlanchard

Ya' gotta' cut out the fan grills!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:25 am

Hello:

Question: are you going to Fold with this machine? :wink:

IdontexistM8

Re: Ya' gotta' cut out the fan grills!

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:07 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

Question: are you going to Fold with this machine? :wink:
I gave up playing Poker due to a horrible online addiction :wink:

Probably why I don't have enough cash :)

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:07 pm

IdontexistM8, just reading that, I'd suggest that's Bad Manners. :wink: :wink:

"Lip-up Fatty" :lol: 8)

Pete.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:08 pm

peteamer wrote:IdontexistM8, just reading that, I'd suggest that's Bad Manners. :wink: :wink:

"Lip-up Fatty" :lol: 8)

Pete.
Methinks, you've been drinking too much Special Brew :D

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:19 pm

Well, maybe... but...

"Every day, when I say, that I'm not gonna take any more..." :twisted:

...I just carry on... Folding@Home. :wink:

Pete

greeef

Post by greeef » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:37 pm

i'd go for the 9600xt, it's likely to be one of the better runners from the batch, so would be more likely to clock down nicely and produce less heat for 2D (radlinker is the software to use.)

I thin you could do better than the acoustifans as well. Equally in the UK i think you'll find corsair value ram cheaper and more clockable than crucial.

griff