Anyone have/tried this pump?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheDarkHacker

Anyone have/tried this pump?

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:30 pm

I am starting to get together a list of parts that i need to build a liquid cooling system, and now i am at the pump. I was looking around and found this http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/dd12vd4.asp i do realize that the sound level can become quite high but i am going to hook it up to my coolermaster aerogate II, but a rubber pad underneath it, and make a small foam lined box to put in into and drill holes for the tubing. anyone have any ideas or recommendations about this pump and silencing it.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:01 pm

that's a very nice pump but according to tests that i've read, it's nowhere near quiet enough. unsure about reliability as well.

an interesting thing you can do with this pump though is hook it up to a (good quality) fan controller and give it less than 12v for better performance. aussie waterblock designer cathar uses 2 of these pumps in series, both running at 16v, to serve as a "high-pressure" test for his waterblocks.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:21 pm

The DD (DangerDen) pump is not recommended.

Either go for a Swifttech MCP600 ($80 USD) or an IWAKI MD-20RZT ($150 I think and the best of the best for watercooling)

IWAKI:
MD, Jap motors, quieter and overall superior to the USA made WMD type
T, threaded
Z, the high pressure version, do not go for the X, high flow version

Read up on it here:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=327217

At any rate, the MCP600 is just fine for all but the most extreme watercoolers, which is where the IWAKI MD-20Z steps in. If the MCP600 is too expensive, the Danner Mag3 (~$40 USD) is recommended. All other pumps are not recommended (i.e. Ehiem pumps)

DrCR

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:24 pm

If you go for a Danner Mag3, mod it according to this article:

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html ... _31_00.php

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:00 am

I was looking at the Swifttech MCP600 but from the reviews i have seen it shows it having a low flow rate. will this effect performance any? I was also looking at the IWAKI MD-20RZT pump but i the tubing size is abnormal, how could i use this. I think it is 5/8in

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:29 pm

I was looking at www.thehiddenreef.com where they sell IWAKI water pumps. I was looking at them and I cant seem to find the IWAKI MD-20RZT but they do have a MD20RLT which is the pump for pressure applications. Should i get the MD20RLT for pressure applications or the MD20RLXT which is for circulation. Here is the page with all the Japan and American motors. http://www.thehiddenreef.com/saltwater_ ... erpump.htm

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:16 pm

TheDarkHacker wrote:Should i get the MD20RLT for pressure applications or the MD20RLXT which is for circulation.
Yes and no. Easy rule: when buying an Iwaki for PC watercooling, do not get one that has a "W" or an "X" in the model number.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:40 am

Yeah it is hard to find the Z model. Whatever do you do, don't get the X. Waterblocks cause a lot of restriction, you want pressure. Sure a pump may have a 300gph lable on it, but that's with zero restiction.

Pumps from Best to Good:

IWAKI MD-20RZT > MD20RLT > MCP600 > Mag3

To be honest, the MCP600 or the Mag3 is just fine for 99% of watercoolers. Another thing to look at is the Wattage. The Mag3 uses like 5 times the wattage the MCP600 pulls so even though the MCP600 is a more expensive, it will actually pay itself off in the long term.

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:27 pm

i have decided to get the swiftech mcp 600 since i have heard the iwaki pumps put alot of heat into the water

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:54 pm

TheDarkHacker wrote:i have decided to get the swiftech mcp 600 since i have heard the iwaki pumps put alot of heat into the water
The MCP600 is an excellent choice and will do you proud. :)

Be sure to add sites like pcper.com and procooling.com as you browse forums and read articles enhancing your knowledge on watercooling. I wouldn't even bother checking out other resources for quiet/silence questions though. :wink:

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:25 pm

i have been hanging around procooling.com liquidninjas.com and hardcop.com in there liquind cooling forums and have been learning alot.

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:47 pm

also http://www.xtremesystems.org is a very good sit for water and extreme cooling.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:23 pm

Hey TheDarkHacker, how's it going for you?

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:41 pm

just ordered my case a silverstone tj03 ordered my radiator a thermochill 120.3 maybe overkill but who cares it have 3 120mm fan mounts. accually 6 if you want to push and pull. and about to order my pump a swiftech mcp600
as for my waterblock i am going for one of the brand new polarflo tt i am getting this one Image
so things are going good

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:45 pm

TheDarkHacker wrote: so things are going good
Yeah, I'd say so. lol It really pays to do your homework. Good luck! :D

That's a new waterblock for me. You got any review links? Really unique interior design!
http://www.polarflo.com/

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:57 pm

no i havent found any reviews yet it just came out like last week. i really dont care about reviews thought because i know it is going to before beautifully. the old polarflo block smoked all the other water blocks and i feel this one will do the same. there should be about a 5 degree difference betwwen the old and the new polarflo waterblocks. or maybe i am just a sucker for chrome and black

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:09 pm

Cool deal. Your right, it is indeed one sweet looking WB! :D

I posted a thread about it at pcper.com <here> and emailed one of the waterblock reviewers there. I'm really interested in how this waterblock will stack up compared to its competition. Thanks for the info!

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:13 pm

thanks for giving me credit. it really shows that there are still honest people in this cruel world.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:33 pm

TheDarkHacker wrote:thanks for giving me credit. it really shows that there are still honest people in this cruel world.
The lack of them is because man is inherently a sinner and most people have chosen to ignore the Lord and have no moral bases to set their actions by other than their God created conscience and the status quo of their culture. :wink:

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:41 pm

that is EXACTLY the way i feel. how can you ignore the greatest of all is what i am still wondering :?: :?

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:50 pm

Indeed. As a science major, evidence of the Creator is simply astounding. Surely such complexity could not happen by chance! We have a responsibility to Him as His creation. Perhaps such responsibility is what induces many to deny Him? We know were sinners and we don't want to have to pay the price, which is ultimately eternal damnation from God. Praise the Lord for his free gift of salvation to all!

DrCR

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:54 pm

amen to that. how can you ignore something that created you and surrounds you every second of your life till you take your last breath and then you go to the creator or the distructor. your actions and decisions in life force you to go one way or the other. i suggest you make wise choices.

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:29 pm

double amen. As an elctrical engineering student, people are often surpised when i tell them im a Chrisian. They think that science disproves God, when in actuality it does the oposite. The bible describes evertyhing from the earth being round, the number pi acurate to 5 digits, dinousaurs and even prophecied cars and the re-creation of Israel. I have been blessed to witness a number of miracles. Unfortunately it says that in the last days there will be a famin for the true word of God.

On another topic. Why do you reomend agains Eheim pumps? I thought they were supposed to be good.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:37 pm

mpteach wrote:Why do you reomend agains Eheim pumps? I thought they were supposed to be good.
Oh, they're not bad, just not the best for the money. They lack the 'head' or pressure of other pumps.

A GPH rating doesn't matter as that is often with zero or a very light load. You want a pump not with a high flow rate at zero load, but with good flow rates in a restrictive environment which waterblocks (some more than others) induce.

If you were using an old Maze design or a Swiffy 6000, then the Eheim is totally fine. But you need a high 'head'/pressure pump for most all modern, more effective designs. And at the price a good Eheim runs for, go for a MCP-600 (or an IWAKI MD-20RZ after lurking eBay awhile lol).

DrCR