KingWin Artic Liquid Cooling Kit

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

KingWin Artic Liquid Cooling Kit

Post by acaurora » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:57 pm

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/super_coo ... /index.htm

If they rank it better than the EXOS, it has to be pretty good. I'm only marginally worried about the following:

1. The fan for the 80mm radiator. Would putting a L1A be sufficient?
2. The 70mm fan on the control unit. Odd size, don't you guys think? They said it's noisy @ 100%, but "fairly well @ 45-55%". What does that mean? -.-;;

It's nice that it's all contained within the case, and you don't have a monstrosity such as the Reserator. Just a little concerned about the internal control unit's fan...

What do you guys think of this unit? Think it's better than the EXOS? 'Cuz I'm actually looking into getting an EXOS Aluminum and fanswapping with L1As/M1As (not sure if the L1As will cool sufficiently)....

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:32 pm

First observation: how does it lower case temps
anywhere from 15 to 20 degrees Celsius
when the secondary radiator is blowing hot air around the 5.25" drives bays.

Second observation: it appears that they're using an ATI (9700?) video card and from what I've seen (on Kingwins site) the gpu block is not machined to sit down inside the shim and contact the gpu. I wonder how good of a job it's doing cooling the video card? Big Blob-o-paste?

Have you seen any other reviews?

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:18 pm

No I haven't. It was a sort of "read it, be astonished, and then spur the moment posting" kind of thing. It does seem odd how they had the fan blowing upwards. If you had it blowing downwards, it can get carried away by the intake fan. Or they could have made it selectable by the user... oh well. Just something I wanted to point out.

tijean

Post by tijean » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:01 am

Forget Panaflo L1A with the exos in mode 1, at 5v these fans don't move air. M1A I don't know, I ordered the H1A yesterday, will replace them this week, should have them today or tomorrow, will post the result. I was thinking about the Silentx 1400rpm 9 db and used them in mode 3 but most people would recommend the Panaflo.

tijean

Post by tijean » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:06 am

Btw I readed the review for the kingwin artic cooler, I have better result with my Exos. P4 3.2c + ATI 9800 Pro, idle is 24-26 and load is 33-34. I didn't overclock.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:50 am

k, i'll just get M1As then.

EDIT: Does the EXOS use 4 pin molex plugs or 3 pin connectors to control the fans?

tijean

Post by tijean » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:02 am

It's suppose to be 3 pins, if you look on koolance web page, replacement parts section, the fans are 3 pins. Anyway I will post the result, I didn't open the EXOS yet.

You're going from a NO NOISE cooler to EXOS , are you sure ?

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:05 am

Well the thing is, I want cooler temps. I am going to be getting a X800XT, and hooking that into the loop, I have heard the Reserator struggles with anything more than just a CPU, especially with an athlon. The EXOS, with M1As, I'm sure will be quiet enough, since I wont have a VGA HSF blasting away, instead 3 M1As that are reasonably quiet.

I am also replacing my PSU with a Nexus 4090. I know it sounds stupid to be replacing one of the best rated PSUs, but mine has some type of annoying whine, I dont think its coil whine, but fan whine. Mine is an A3v1, not the A3v2s you see on the reviews with the Yate Loon fans. Maybe that's why. ~.~

jinu117

Re: KingWin Artic Liquid Cooling Kit

Post by jinu117 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:28 pm

acaurora wrote:http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/super_coo ... /index.htm

If they rank it better than the EXOS, it has to be pretty good. I'm only marginally worried about the following:
Obviously paid by kingwin.
Radiator size always have big impact. Reason why well constructed swift kit still has limitation.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/waterkit.asp

Now, this is the first site I check for unbiased opinions on items. Sometimes, the reviewer do get cynical but most hardcore's are like that AFAIK

Now, you will notice some kits such as asetek waterchill rating below exos. I don't doubt for a moment having had similar setup before just due to the nature of old waterblock which is nothing to compare to new one. However, this option might be feasable... very very cheap.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/asktwacpucok1.html

You can always change the waterblock to new antiarctica block which will increase performance drastically (top notch block) granted you don't plan to cool other things on line. (I recommend staying away from GPU when artic cooling VGA cooler does such an excellent job).

Enjoy.