Recommend a Motherboard

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

intx

Recommend a Motherboard

Post by intx » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:18 pm

What is a motherboard that can..
A. Support AMD Processors
B. Support the CNPS7000A
C. Support fan speed controlling
D. Will fit in an evercase 4252?

Thanks. Looking for any recommendations if possible!

The following boards are being considered:
Asus A7S333, A7V266, A7V266-C, A7V266-E, A7V333, A7V333-X, A7V600, A7V600-X, A7V8X
ECS L7S7A2 V1.1A
Epox EP-8KHAL, EP-8KHAL+
Iwill KA266-R
QDI KuDoZ 7E/333X
QDI KuDoz 7
QDI KuDoz 7A

Fat Bunny

Post by Fat Bunny » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:17 am

Hi intx,

Can give a qualified recommendation to the Abit KV7 with the E4252 as that is how my system is set up. The qualifications are;
  • The ATX power connectors are a real fiddle to fit as they are close to the heatsink
  • You can't fit a 38mm deep fan like the Panaflo 120mm L1A to the exhaust as it will interfere with the heatsink
  • Have not tried to use the Abit fan control software so I don't know how well it works
  • Solid motherboard mounting tray so cablegami opportunities are limited, I drilled three 1 3/4 inch holes for this purpose
A list of reviews for this board are at 8dimensional.

I can say for sure I would not recommend the ASUS A7V8X as the example I had would not run the CPU below 1.7v. I Understand that with ASUS boards in general you don't get the ability to undervolt only overvolt.

intx

Post by intx » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:53 pm

Thanks for your input! I want to run a panaflo 120mm oem fan there unfortunately so I guess that's out of the question.

Did your HSF have any interference with the PSU? If it was rotated 90, do you think it would?

The ASUS A7V333 seems to be able to undervolt to 1.1.. anyone have any experience with that board?

Fat Bunny

Post by Fat Bunny » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:22 pm

intx wrote:Thanks for your input! I want to run a panaflo 120mm oem fan there unfortunately so I guess that's out of the question.
You could still mount it outside of the case and it may actually work inside the case but you would have to mount the fan before you mounted the motherboard.

intx wrote:Did your HSF have any interference with the PSU? If it was rotated 90, do you think it would?
Not with the placement of the socket on the KV7, but this issue is what turned me off of all the NF2 boards as there is no way the CNPS7000A would not interfere with the PSU.

intx

Post by intx » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:44 pm

Not with the placement of the socket on the KV7, but this issue is what turned me off of all the NF2 boards as there is no way the CNPS7000A would not interfere with the PSU.
So that's saying that it would, or wouldn't interfere on the KV7? :) I'm a little confused

Fat Bunny

Post by Fat Bunny » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:37 am

intx wrote: So that's saying that it would, or wouldn't interfere on the KV7? :) I'm a little confused
It would not interfere with the KV7.

intx

Post by intx » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:11 pm

Fat Bunny wrote: Not with the placement of the socket on the KV7, but this issue is what turned me off of all the NF2 boards as there is no way the CNPS7000A would not interfere with the PSU.
Yeah, I noticed that too, that really sucks. :/ Wonder if the same problem will occur with the newer CNPS that's coming out.

Anyway thanks for all your advice!

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:16 am

The ASUS A7V333 seems to be able to undervolt to 1.1.. anyone have any experience with that board?
All ASUS boards SUPPORT voltage to 1.1, however you will not be able to adjust down. If your cpu auto detects to 1.5v you will have access to 1.5v and up, but won't be able to access 1.45v and down.

Even if you're going for a lower end Athlon system, I recommend the Shuttle AN35N Ultra. It's uber cheap, passively cooled northbridge, and will allow you to expand all the way to 400fsb bartons in the future. Only thing it sacrifices on is Firewire and SATA support. Other than that it's a great rock solid stable board and has onboard audio/LAN and plenty of room to work around the CPU socket.

Also per my sig I use this board/HSF combo in my Sonata and it clears the PSU fine. Pretty sure the Evercase should as well.

intx

Post by intx » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:47 am

Interitus wrote:
All ASUS boards SUPPORT voltage to 1.1, however you will not be able to adjust down. If your cpu auto detects to 1.5v you will have access to 1.5v and up, but won't be able to access 1.45v and down.

Even if you're going for a lower end Athlon system, I recommend the Shuttle AN35N Ultra. It's uber cheap, passively cooled northbridge, and will allow you to expand all the way to 400fsb bartons in the future. Only thing it sacrifices on is Firewire and SATA support. Other than that it's a great rock solid stable board and has onboard audio/LAN and plenty of room to work around the CPU socket.

Also per my sig I use this board/HSF combo in my Sonata and it clears the PSU fine. Pretty sure the Evercase should as well.
Does the AN35N support speedfan's variable fan speed changing?

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:26 am

I tried to install it but forgot I'm using fanmates so I don't think it will work with them installed. I'd uninstall them but you have no idea how big of a pain it is in my case, lol. It did detect everything properly, but as to if it would change the speed I can't say. I tried it, but it wouldn't do anything to my cpu fan, but again it's on a fanmate so i don't think it'll work.

Anyone else verify the board works with Speedfan?