shuttle SB81P review at sfftech

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

shuttle SB81P review at sfftech

Post by flyingsherpa » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:33 pm

http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=563

sounds only slightly less than typical "shuttle loud" in stock form. but this design has a few things that may make it easier for SPCR's to tame the noise beast. most notably, it uses Apple's G5 case theory by making temperature zones: the CPU has its own air tunnel that moves are crosswise in the case, while other fans pull air front-to-back for the other parts. it still has a lot of fans, but you can probably turn a few off depending on how you're using the system. impressively, this thing fits 3 hard drives so you may need that extra cooling.

may be a good HTPC if it can be quieted. too bad shuttle didn't use larger/quiter fans right off the bat... here's a gem from the review (emphasis mine):

"really amazing noise output of only 52 dbA....The bottom line is that the SB81P performed relatively cool and quiet with our testbench setup. "

52db is quiet?!?!? maybe in comparison to the older shuttles. the mere thought of that many dB emitting from my PC fills me with cold fear. :shock:

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:30 pm

yeah i wish SFF were quieter, i love those little boxes.

~RaNDoM

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:13 pm

SFFTech measures closer than one meter (12 inches), that's why the "insane" dBAs. The comparison results really tell the difference; the older review systems used 2.4C, whilst the SB81P used 3.4EE (S775 version). So it actually ran quite cool and quiet. But not quiet by SPCR means.

The only bad thing is Socket 775, which currently means a toasty Prescott, or an arm-and-a-leg costing PIVEE.

Cheers,

Jan