Help me build a quite PC!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shinji23

Help me build a quite PC!

Post by shinji23 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:48 am

HOw you guys doing? This is my first post I believe and please be nice :D

I got sick and tired of loud pc, so I went to shuttle, still loud and hot, so now here I am going back to regular PC. THis time I want to make my system QUITE. So, I did some research in this forum and I came up with these setup.

AMD64 3200+
MSI Neo Platinum board (nforce3 250)
geforce 4 MX 128mb
DVDRW
Audigy
Antec SLK-3700BQE
Mod Antec PSU with Panaflow fan
Undervolt stock 120mm exhaust fan
Artic cooling Silencer64TC
Segate 7200.7 SATA HDD.

I am thinking of adding one extra fan in the front with either Papst, Global Win or Ever Cool Alu Fan. From what I read so far, Papst makes click noise, global win seems good, and Ever cool is decent, and I can't make the decision...

Question I am having is

1. how is my setup? in terms of noise... i don't play game or overclock

2. how is the stock 120mm fan on antec? I heard it's really quite on 5 or 7v mod, but compare to ever cool, papst and global win, how is it?

3. Last question, which fan? btw what is globe fan? I couldn't find one on the net, so I just assumed global Win fan is the globe fan. am I correct on this?

Thanks alot for reading this!

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:52 pm

For the front case fan, consider a panaflo L1A. I'm assuming you mean 80mm, in which case, you can buy guaranteed japanaflos from jab-tech, which are *great* fans.

chrisb71

Post by chrisb71 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:06 am

The SATA seagates are not quiet, the PATA are.
The SATA cannot be put into "quiet mode", I don't know why, but they can't.

I have two believe me they are loud. It is the seek noise that is loud, I have mine damped so there is no noise from vibration, but the seek is still really loud.

They are not as bad as some others, but still, not if you want to be really quiet you might want the PATA version or the Samsung SATA.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:42 am

Have fun with modding the SL350. Read Chylld's report on this task.

Otherwise:
1) Looks like a good start to me. You may find the Seagate's seeks to be obtrusive.
2) It's pretty darn quiet.
3) Globe fan is the manufacturer for 120mm Acoustifans. They're sold at mnpctech and Coolcases.

Also, WELCOME TO SPCR!!