Cooling & quite pc advise needed

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

waiko

Cooling & quite pc advise needed

Post by waiko » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:19 am

hello ...im newbie here and hope u guys can help me out...

I have a intel D875PBZ mobo.

Rear Fans: 2 x Chieftec (D80mm - 12)
Front fans: 2 X Chiftec with LED Blue lights(80mm)
Side fan: 1 chieftec (80mm)

Cpu coolong : Cooler master

But i want to upgrade it and the front LED lights also

Below is what i think:

Rear fans:
2 X ThermalTake Multi-Directional Intake 80mm Fan or Panaflo 80mm "FBA08A12M"
Front fans :
2 X CoolerMaster Blue 80mm Neon LED Fan
Side fans :
1 X CoolerMaster Blue 80mm Neon LED Fan

CPU Coller: Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu or Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu
VGA Cooler : Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer rev 3 for ATI Radeon PRO 128MB

hard disk :
Western Digital Raptor with Zalman HDD Cooler ZM-2HC2 or silent drive or Vantec.

My main objective is to hav a quite and cooler system.Please suggest or comment .

Thanks guys...^_^ :D

markjia

Post by markjia » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:24 pm

Welcome to SPCR forums!

Your system looks good. Though I don't think you need that many fans...one 120mm exaust fan and perhaps and another fan for the drive (any size) is all you should need.

I'd go with the ALCU CPU heatsink (the CU model offers little if any advantage).

markjia

Post by markjia » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:26 pm

oh, and what CPU do you plan on getting?

waiko

Post by waiko » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:52 pm

well i have a 3.0 Ghz with a intel 875pbz mobo. i have an alienware (antec case) and currrently using 5 fans from chieftec .

I heard getting a fan controller like vantec or zalman will reduce the fan noise in low voltage? is it true?

I still need the LED lights for the front and side fans....

markjia

Post by markjia » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:35 pm

If you get a fan controller, you can reduce the speed of your fans. Although you can accomplish the same thing if you rewire it yourself...there is a lot of information here on how to do it. Take a look at the articles.

I still doubt you need that many fans. What sort of components do you have? Just a video card and single HD?

You should probably also look into the PSU if you want to reduce noise. What do you have now?

I'm not really sure which quiet fans have LEDs...I doubt many (if any) do. But another option is to use a fan grill with LEDs. Here are some from directron.com: http://www.directron.com/ccflfangrill.html

waiko

Post by waiko » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:18 am

First of all im not doing any overclocking.

This are my specs

INTEL D875PBZ MOTHERBOARD
INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0GHZ 512K L2 CACHE 800MHZ FSB
1024 MB DDR PC3200
WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 74GB 8MB CACHE HD
Maxtor 250GB 8MB Cache HD
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR
16X DVD-ROM Samsung
SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY 2 6.1
420 WATT POWER SUPPLY Antec
PLEXTOR PLEXWRITER 48/24/48 CD-RW BLACK

The fan controller i need it because i can lower the noise of the fan.
So far i have look into Silverstone Eudemon SST-FP52 , Vantec Nexus NXP-205 and Zalman ZM - MFC 1.

I still in the decision of getting a fan controller or just change the LED lights.

markjia

Post by markjia » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:28 am

I'm not sure about your Antec case/psu specs (what are the models?), but I'm pretty sure that the psu is not very quiet. Antec PSU have an "S" version, a quieter type than their standard one. I don't think your's is one of them. But even if it were, they are not very quiet anywayrs. It would probably be worthwhile upgrading it with something made by Nexus or Seasonics (take a look at the articles here for suggestions).

Again, you don't need a fan controller to reduce the voltage/noise of your fans...take a look at this article: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

If you do a search on this forum, you can find ways of automatically adjusting the speed depending on the temperature in the system (usually done using software). But I guess if you want an easier solution you can use one of those premade controllers (but i don't think they can adjust temperature automatically).

I don't understand the relavene of LEDs and fan controllers...Is this just a matter of cost? If do something like what is suggested in the above article, it will cost you very little to reduce the noise. So you can still get the LEDs.