A couple of quick questions.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

finis

A couple of quick questions.

Post by finis » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:06 pm

Hi all,

Been trying to read up on all the forums posts and articles. After reading for three days and trying to plan out a new athlon 64, I'm in a state of information overload now... :shock: :shock:

So yeah, hoping all you experts can help me out here:

1. if a motherboard has fan control, are fanmates needed?
2. Is the athlon 64 stock fan loud even with CnQ?
3. As newegg doesn't have Panaflo A12L, A12M is ok right?
4. In the CnQ MB article, is having something in the notes section a good thing or a bad thing?

Sorry for all the newb questions. :oops:
Must say though, this is the greatest websites for computing I've read.

streety

Post by streety » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:02 am

1. It depnds on what voltage range the mb can supply and what range of voltages you want. If the mb can do the full range you think you'll need you won't need them, if no then it might be an idea.

2. Well I don't have an athlon 64 and haven't read much about them but I would imagine you would be able to get quieter using non-stock heatsinks. Thats certainly the experience I have with other stock heatsinks.

3. I woud imagine the characteristics are much the same but check the airflow and noise to see if it's suitable for your needs.

4. Well it depends what the notes say but from just taking a quick look they mostly seem negative.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:10 pm

The medium speed Panaflo is louder and has better airflow. However at 5v it's almost as quiet as the low speed Panaflo.