New Silenx specs info...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:06 am

Digitalix - good for you, rewiring your atx connector! The main point that is worth stressing, though, is that Dell don't use standard PSUs (actually, PSUs are standard, but connector layout isn't) and thus you can't just swap out theirs for another.

Dell should be taken out and shot for doing this! I don't think there is a good reason. Unfortunately, as bad as Dell are, they are better than the competition right now so they continue to get our business at work.

dinde

Post by dinde » Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:13 am

are these psu's only available at exoticpc? sucks for all of us in canada and without credit cards (from the look of it no money orders are accepted? =\ it would rock if they were..

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:00 am

You could email/phone and ask - I found them very helpful when I ordered.

One peeve I do have with their service (this holds for many other online outlets) is that they do not automatically provide receipts, just invoices that do not indicate the item has even been paid for, let alone by whom. When I emailed the sales rep about this he seemed surprised the emailed invoice wasn't adequate. Unbelieveable! Don't these folks realize that you need a proper receipt for expense claims or tax purposes? Just how do they operate with their suppliers? Gimme a break!

crg

Post by crg » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:31 pm

Hi herb and cschofie, In my previous post, I wrote my Dell 4550/3.06 does not have proprietary wiring, it is standard atx wiring. I don't know about their other model numbers though but it seems like they have finally listened to the numerous consumer complaints.

I just put a Nexus in with no problem and it works/sounds fine. I had to cut some metal though as the Dell had no room for the Nexus on/off switch. I had another thread on the 4550 systems case/cpu fans and I didn't realize that the Dell standard power supplies were fairly loud too.
Last edited by crg on Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmontem
Friend of SPCR

Post by gmontem » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:51 pm

I hate to sound like a complete newb (well this is my first post :oops:) but is the SilenX a switching power supply? I want to buy the 350 watt version but may want to switch to the 400 watt if the PS doesn't eat up 400 watts on a light load. Thanks. :)

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:14 pm

Sounds like you are assuming that 'switching' means switching between power levels? Don't quite understand...

A switching mode power supply is one that uses an internal technique of 'switching' on and off, at high frequency, to acheive power conversion, rather than use other methods. The primary goal of a switching mode supply is efficiency - by using 'on/off' switching, at high frequency, you encounter less loss than if you use resistors, etc to achieve the same purpose. I think a downside of switching mode supplies is that they can 'whine' (whistle) due to the dramatic switch from on to off at high frequency. They can also generate interference for the same reason, and thus require additional circuitry and shielding.

Now, that's what I 'think' it means ... feel free anyone else to tell me I'm wrong! I did find this web site that may be of interest ... but it really gets into details that are a bit dull ... !
http://www.smpstech.com/tutorial/t01int.htm#SMPSDEF

Are pretty much all currently available power supplies switching mode? I assume so.