What use to quiet whining coil on mobo?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trodas

What use to quiet whining coil on mobo?

Post by trodas » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:37 am

My toroid coil on DFI Lanparty B mobo, next to the DIMMs, whining badly :( I think that 2x 512MB with 3.3V tests for the 8rdavcore autor (for full DFI mobos Lanparty/Infinity support) will hurt my silence. As this is with superquiet computer kinda annoing, I looking for a solution.

It's obvious that I have to suffuse the whining coil by something.

But now wait! The coil get terribly hot, sometimes over 100C, so it must hold with this temp! :(

So, it probably can't be any of the kayoacrylate second glues (no idea how high they hold with temp before they melt or catch fire, or what?) Most paints either did not stand more that 100C, so I went to store and find a epoxy, that is rated to 120C :D
Sounds good, however it's probably conductive and Im now not quite sure if the wire isulation (damn, it's just a burn paint on it) will hold with the epoxide...

And what hapens if not? The coil is there probably just to reduce EMI, so it maybe can be removed/shortcuted as well...??? :roll:

Just asking if anyone have any experience with dealing with extra hot toroid coils ;)

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:18 am

When I was trying to silence a noisy coil in a PSU, some of my searches came up with:
1) Using a (wooden) toothpick while the thing was live to try move windings and/or jam the noisy one
2) An epoxy (glue) jacket

Neither of these worked for me, nor a heatshrink wrapping I tried, so I can only wish you luck!

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:29 pm

Damn, not so nice...

I has already a sucesfull experience on quieting coil in brother PSU - I just find by stickign wooden stick to anything suspicous, witch one it is and then I applied by thermal pistol some of the hot-glue thing from it and things is fixed from this time :? :P

But that was easy. The coil never got so hot, like the one on my DFI mobo... I already bought and probably soon going to apply epoxy on the coil and that will fix it. I just hoped some come with better idea or tell me, that the heat temp epoxy from auto stores is not the best one :wink:

Im a little woried is the isulation on the wire on the coil will hold and also what the epoxy, with is supposed to have "steel filler" and the material at end of the process should "act as metal" ... :roll:

Well, okay, this is just EMI filtering toroid. If things went so bad, I can even desolder it and things should run fine still :)

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:28 pm

I've heard of people using a hot glue gun to sort this kind of thing. There is someone on this site that has used a glue gun on a monitor/TV to get rid of coil whine.

Many years ago I had a monitor that hummed and sparked (brand new, made by Viewsonic) . They took it back and did the hot glue treatment on it. When it came back it was nice and quiet. However, the Christmas tree light show inside it did not pull the wool over my eyes. Got it replaced in the end.

The hot glue gun method does have some merit. Prob is that once you have done it, you cannot undo it (if you do not like the results). You could consider and RMA. I RMAed my Asus mobo for the same kind of fault and got a replacement.