Does anyone here have experience with the AMS ecube EG65?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Does anyone here have experience with the AMS ecube EG65?

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:44 am

Hey SPCR

I was wondering if you have ever heard of AMS E-cube SFF machines.
In particular this one here

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... 607&depa=0

It has a thermally controlled PSU and some sort of xross blade cooling technology(some sort of exhaust pipe).

Do you think SFF machine can be quiet by the SPCR standards?

I have emailed MikEC about it and he has not used one and thinks i should try it out, but me only making 6 bucks a hour finds it hard to take that leap and be dissappointed.

Hoping anyone here has experience with it and can comment on it

Thx
~RaNDoM

AmazingRando

Post by AmazingRando » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:38 pm

Your post was from a few weeks ago, but if you're still looking for info, here are my thoughts.

I had an AMS EG65 for a good 9 months. I replaced it with an Antec Sonata-based system. The EG65 was a nice little machine and worked pretty well. It was loaded with a P4c 3.0Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM, a 250GB WD hard drive and a Radeon 9800 Pro.

One complaint was heat. With all that stuff in it, it ran pretty hot - almost too hot, especially when gaming.

As for sound levels, it's not a quiet PC. It's actually fairly noisy compared to the Sonata (which itself isn't quiet until you tweak it). I suppose there are things you could do to quiet it down but given the custom PSU and cross-blade fan, your options might be limited. I would check out people's experiences with the Shuttle Zen. That seems to hold more promise.

Good luck

ar

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:46 pm

Hey thx for the reply AmazingRando

I was beginning to think no one had this little machine.

I acually ended up buying the Zen and for the most part i like.

I switched out the fan with a panaflo L1A and i suspend a 160 samsung with shock cords just like in Ralfs review.

At a meter away i cant hear it at all.

But from my desk, i placed the Zen right next to my monitor and i am able to hear the harddrive a little when the rest of the room is quiet.
I can still hear seeks pretty good all the time tho.

I am not sure what i can do about it.

Welcome to SPCR btw!!

~RaNDoM