Help me make my comp silent!!!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Deufo

Help me make my comp silent!!!

Post by Deufo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:08 pm

Hi to you ppl, i'm new to silent pc.

I currently have a fake computer case and a cheapo PSU. I'm thinking of changing them. Any good cases and PSU's around? I was thinking about the Antec SLK3700, but i couldn't decide between the BQE or the AMB version. Which ones better?. Also, i need to change my northbridge cooling thingy so any suggestion? I'm currently using the stock NF7-S NB cooler but i think it looks ugly.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

spartikus

Post by spartikus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:11 pm

Fake computer case? Not sure what you mean by this, maybe I'm dumb.. :shock:

Anyhoo, the BQE seems to be the go around here, and I highly reccommend the Zalman range of northbridge heatsinks. No fan needed, and they look pretty cool (if you're into that sorta thing).. :)

Deufo

Post by Deufo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:32 pm

by fake computer case, i meant a unbranded ultra cheap no fan mouting holes case. XD Well newayz, how bout cpu heat sinks? and also wats so good about panafolo fans, i always see them in forums

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:41 am

There is a section on the main page called Recommended. It has links to other pages with recommendations for different components.

The differences between the Antec SLK3700 AMB & BQE are not that big. Your choice depends on how silent you want your computer to be. If you go for as silent as possible, then the PSU in neither case is good enough and you will probably suspend your harddrives. Then you should choose the colour and price you like. If you don't want to mod your case, then go with the BQE. It's PSU makes less noise and it has rubber grommets to mount your harddrives.

The top ranked heatsinks are the Zalman 7000 models and the Thermalright SLK-900U/A. Thermalright has some improved versions of that heatsink now: SLK-948U and SP-94/97

The Panaflo fans are silent (at least the ones made in Japan) and very cheap in the US.