Quiet Optical Combo Drives

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NightWatcher

Quiet Optical Combo Drives

Post by NightWatcher » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:19 am

I am in the process of gathering parts for my new system (and my first quiet PC) and am in need of suggestion for a CD/DVD combo drive. I'm not into burning music CD's (the few CD's I do burn are for data back-ups) and I don't burn DVDs. All I need is a combo drive with CD R/W and DVD ROM capability. I have looked at several from Newegg, but does anyone have any opinions? The only ones I currently have are generic 'came with the computer' drives, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(If I have missed any previous threads that address this subject, my apologies).

sdan

Post by sdan » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:34 am

I am also building my first quiet PC, and when considering optical drives, I realized that for the times I really want/need my PC to be quiet, it shouldn't be a big deal to just avoid using the drive. I like watching movies with the sound up kinda loud too, so if I was to watch a DVD, the noise shouldn't matter.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:30 pm

I had to resort to the avoid-solution, I have an LG 4320B, it's not very loud with DVD's, but with CD's it sounds very much like a dremel(and with only a 40x read rate). I tried alcohol 120% when I ran into a game that kept accesing the CDs, when the trial period runs out I'll probably switch to some other virtual drive program.

For some reason, combo drives seem to have higher power requirements than DVD, CD-R, and even DVD R drives, maybe that indicates a high tendency to noisyness.