Buying a case without PSUs

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jaypers

Buying a case without PSUs

Post by jaypers » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:18 am

Hi All,

Am about to buy and build a new PC from scratch and of course I want it to be silent hence the posting on this board!

May seem like a silly question but does anyone know a retailer which sells pc cases without psus or with decent quiet ones? Every retailer I've checked sells them with psu's included - I'd rather save on that and buy my own rather than pay for 2...

Am based in the UK.

Thanks very much and keep up the great articles and forum! Seems like silencing my pc is going to cost more thant the pc itself!!

jp

davidhooper

Post by davidhooper » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:55 am

Try kustompcs.co.uk.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:43 am

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Buying a case without PSUs

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:11 pm

jaypers wrote:Seems like silencing my pc is going to cost more thant the pc itself!!
jp
Nah, just read the several PC silencing projects under mods & projects. You'll see that most of the silencing techniques used there are inexpensive, requiring a bit of inventiveness or common sense and handiness with a few tools. And most of those projects resulted in VERY quiet systems. Just remember, a part that is already quiet is much better than getting a noisier part and trying to muffle it. ;)

jaypers

Post by jaypers » Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:51 am

Thanks for the info and help

I knew some of those retailers but not all of them and have found what I was looking for + a lot more.

Funnily I noticed that generally cheap cases (c£50) always seem to come with PSUs whilst some of the more expensive ones (£75 onwards) don't!!

I'm looking for a case that would fit in with my separates Stereo/DVD/VCR in the living room (to eventually my VCR) so good but subtle looks and smallish size important. Suntek seem to do a decent range, anyone got any experience with them and their psu fans? (www.suntek.co.uk)

Have a good w/e all and thanks again!

jp

gmat

Post by gmat » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:58 am

High end, smart looking cases usually come without any PSU.
Try these brands:
* Yeong Yang
* Lian Li
* Soldam (import only)

Many online shops carry them.