Advice on upgrade

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

incognito351

Advice on upgrade

Post by incognito351 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:33 am

Here is what I have:
Epox 8kha+
Athlon 1800+
Crucial 1x512 pc2100
ATI AIW (the original first run of these guys 32mb)

My goal is to be able to play D3 and HL2. Doesnt have to be the uber settings but the "medium" settings that D3 is playable at.

What I am looking at getting or would like to get:
ATI 9800pro 128mb
2x512 pc3200 (give me some good suggestions on solid, stable ram that wont break me)
new mobo with nforce 2 ultra chipset, 1 set of dual channel ram option
- this is where it gets a little messed up
I am interested in keeping my old 1800+ but obviously with the option to upgrade perhaps next year on processor or even late fall.
-with ram prices as absurd as they are right now, there is almost no price range difference between pc2100 and pc3200 sticks of the same size. So would it be in my benefit to buy one more identical 512 stick and run dual channel pc2100 or should I buy a new set of 512s pc3200 for dual channel and sell my old pc2100 512? Or perhaps the idea of getting such pumped up ram for a 266 fsb processor is crap and what i need to do is upgrade the processor and ram?

I am pretty solid on my graphics card decision - MSI ATI RX9800pro
Fairly confident I would like to keep processor... but i suppose if you were strong enough in your stance I could change my mind.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.
Chris

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:49 am

Are you considering the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer?

As for memory, you could do worse than Corsair PC3200 512MB Value. It doesn't sound like you really want to push the envelope, and this stuff can be had for relatively cheap. Normally, I'd only recommend that you get one stick since you're really not going to see the difference, but since you want to upgrade other parts of your machine in the future, getting 2 sticks is probably a better idea.

Getting two sticks is probably good advice judging from the page I'm about to show you:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... i=2149&p=7

You're probably a lot better off getting a new processor in addition to a new motherboard if you're interested in HL2 and D3. An A64 2800+ with an Nforce 3 250 Chipset is a good combination for such gaming.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:44 pm

At some point in time I matched an Athlon XP1600+ to a brand-new GeForce FX5600ultra (well, it was brand-new some time ago) and used that setup for all of five days before upgrading the cpu. Framerates in NFS underground and BF1942 (like I said, it was some time ago) were almost identical to my old card, a GeForce256!

With a underpowered cpu - relatively speaking of course - you will never attain the frame rates your graphics card is capable of and you'll need that horsepower for D3/HL2. No need to buy top-of-the-line GHz's, midprice will run very decently.

And along with a new cpu comes the new RAM... definately agree with the Corsair suggestion. And then you really start spending as you realize you want it to run quietly! :) Kidding of course, silencing is possible on all budgets.

incognito351

Post by incognito351 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:38 pm

The AC VGA silencer is something I am considering. I am fairly new to the silent pc scene since it was never a concern of mine living in dorm rooms and not worrying about power consumption/noise levels since the biggest loudest brightest computer meant it was the fastest thing in the world and instantly gained you the title of "the kid that knows stuff about ocmputers." Anyways, I will definatley be considering many silence options once its all put together.

Any suggestions on a decent midpriced cpu(amd) to run at 400 fsb that wont bottleneck or hold back a 9800pro ati?

Thanks for your help!!!

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:06 pm

i just bought an abit nf7-s and an xp-m 2400 and am very pleased. yes, there's faster stuff out there, but i really don't need that speed and this upgrade was CHEAP. mobo and cpu totalled about $160 i think. 1GB ram will set you back at least another $160-200 i think (haven't priced ram in a while). it'll be a decent system, but it won't pwN doom3. if you're not looking for a budget system then A64's look very nice and can be kept quiet fairly easily. and of course doom will run better.

greeef

Post by greeef » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:13 am

definitely the mobile athlon XPs. In the uk, the 1500+ can be had for £33 and is reaching 2300MHz with some people.

griff

incognito351

Post by incognito351 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:54 am

So I think i am getting closer to having it all together now. Here is what I have decided on so far.

XP-Mobile 2400+ (35W)
Scythe Samurai for cooling
1x512 Crucial BallistiX pc3200
MSI Radeon 9800 pro 128mb
VGA silencer for 9800pro

Now for the mobo. I am down to 2 choices. Abit NF7-S v2 or the DFI NFII Ultra Infinity.
I am sorta confused about the various chipsets. What is the difference between nforce 2 SPP that the abit has and the nforce 2 Ultra 400 that the DFI has? Does it have to do with Dual channel capabilities?? If I want the added benefits of Dual channel, should i get the DFI board because both the website for abit and newegg say noting about supporting dual channel. (I know i dont have 2x512 yet, but the wallet is only so big. There will be another BallistiX stick in the mail within a month or 2) So I want dual channel. I would imagine with such a popular board as the abit, someone would know if its just a typo that it doesnt have dual channel listed or if it actually doesnt have dual channel.

Also, if anyone can link me up to a very comprehensive understanding of the nforce 2, not 3, chipsets(difference between spp,ultra 400, I would be most appreciative. And yes, I did read the nvidia site and it was good but didnt clarify all my issues.

Thanks

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:06 am

Abit NF7-S does support dual channel RAM. And it is a very good board.

However, since you are buying only one stick of RAM, the dual channel will not work for you until you buy a second stick. Dual channel needs two sticks to work. On any board. For the moment, you can stick with one and buy another later, of course.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:29 pm

Last time I shopped for an NF2 mobo, the DFI owners scared me away from DFI. Far from scientific analysis, I'm afraid, but I was much more comfortable going with Abit.

FWIW, dual channel won't really buy you much in these rigs, since the CPU is the bandwidth limit. If money's an issue, skimp on the RAM for now; it's an easy upgrade later.

Linus

Post by Linus » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:37 am

In case you're interested... Both those motherboards are supported by 8rdavcore, which allows changing Vcore and FSB from Windows. Check out the official site, search the forums, and read Deep UnderVolt/Clock for more info.

Memony

Post by Memony » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:16 am

It's a very similar rig to mine, I have the DFI Lanparty Ultra after a ropey experience with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe when trying to run a 200fsb CPU (Barton XP3200) with PC3200 Ram, after spending a lot of money exchanging the unbranded RAM for Crucial TwinX Pro (2x512 - and yes the second 512 makes a hell of a difference to performance) and having to underclock it I nailed the board as the problem :?

Anyway to cut a long story short, I am very happy with the DFI, good support in the form of a forum run by very technical guys and the bundle speaks for itself - only gripe I have is it lacks a game port... They reckon they are defunct, but I got an old Joypad that works a treat for certain games that I can't use :roll:

The MSI RX9800 was my latest addition - fantastic card. The VGA silencer is an absolute must because, although the stock cooling is excellent it was a damned annoying whiney fan that I could clearly hear. It was like having tinnitus!! You may want to pick up some ramsinks though.

My specs if you are interested ;)

AMD XP3200
Thermalright SP97 - Zalman 92mm Fan
2x512 Crucial XMS Pro
DFI Lanparty Ultra RevB
MSI RX9800Pro 128Mb
VGA Silencer
2x120 Maxtor SATA150 - in raid
1x200 Maxtor SATA150
Plextor CDRW
Pioneer DVDRW
ThermalTake Tsuami case