It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: need help in building a queit system.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:03 pm 

My goal is to build something i can sleep next to, so far i'm looking at a Zalmen 7000cu heat sink
a P-106 or TT Tsunami case
and Silent Super Flower PSU http://store.yahoo.com/directron/sobldisitt42.html (are they really quiet?)

Its going to be an A64 system 3400+ with a Soltek 250gb mobo that has passive cooling and my Readon 9800 has an Artic cooler on it (makes it look like a geforce).. What do you all recomend? for the case and psu? i'm trying to keep the psu in the 50ish range and the case as near to 100 as i can. THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:39 am 

I took the Tsunami case on recommendation from here. The included fans are not the quietest by any means, but a fan controller or a couple of decent fans should sort that out.

Some will say go for a steel case as with a more solid build there are less vibrations, but I can safely say I like this one, style and substance :D

There are some nice touches with the case, like removable drive trays and the 5 1/4 bay lock and load things :wink:

To fit the artic cooler, you will have to take the screwless card retainer from the back of the case, it doesn't like the two bay design, but it is only 4 screws :roll:

I think you will here good things about the cooler here as well. but I would want to know if it would fit your mobo first. Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will be able to help out there :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:40 am 

Oh and...

...Welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:54 am 

The Zalman CPU fan is not real quiet unless you run it at about 40% speed or less (~1300 RPM). The good news is (and what makes this HSF so good) that it still cools the CPU adequately at these low fan speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:52 pm 

hmm noise wise how would the super lan boy stack up agaisnt the p160 and the Tsunami .. i kindof want the tsunami, but i want a case with a window and the side fan just scares me... also what are your guys thoughts on the powersuply? what would be a good quiet one? thanks your input is a godsent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:42 am 

I was initially looking at the SuperLanboy, but that idea was quickly put down by some of the more knowledgable around here. The Tsunami is a good case imho, I am beginning to think that I should have gotten the side window version as the added airflow (92mm fan) would have been good. As the summer gets hotter, so do my case temps :lol: