Gaming PC silenced! (a.k.a. Black D8000)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MonsterMac

Gaming PC silenced! (a.k.a. Black D8000)

Post by MonsterMac » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:21 pm

This post is for all you people out there who have PC's you use mainly for gaming, video editing, etc. but hate it when your done gaming and your PC is screaming next to you. Before this project, I was using a computer I purchased from www.alienware.com. It had 6 case fans in a Chieftec Dragon case, 2 intake, 2 exhaust, and one side panel fan, not to mention the videocard fan, cpu fan, and psu fan, and let me tell you, that thing could make some NOISE! During my gaming sessions or at LAN's the noise didn't bother me in the least but when I was sitting at home trying to type a paper, surfing the web, or trying to sleep the noise level was unbearable. This past Christmas I purchased myself a Antec Sonata, an Athlon XP 2500+ as well as a gig of ram in the hopes of upping my performance while taking away alot of the noise. After I put everything along with my new hardware into the Sonata I was very impressed with the noise level (being I was used to hearing 6 80mm case fans screaming away at 12V, one 120mm fan running off the fan only connectors on the Sonata was almost inaudible). However, after a few months, I was still not satisfied with the noise level and that is when I came across the SPCR forums! I was very impressed with what Katana did with his PC in the Do-it-Yourself section of the site so I decided to mirror what he did as closely as possible. I ordered a D8000 case from www.coolcases.com which came with stock everything including two 120mm globe thermally controlled case fans, I got the AcoustiPack Deluxe and some silicon grommets from www.siliconacoustics.com, and got the VGA Silencer rev. 3 from www.newegg.com. When I received all the new parts, the first thing I did was put the VGA Silencer on my 9700pro. This was pretty easy except for the fact that my stock heatsink on my Powercolor 9700pro was expoxied to the card so I needed to heat it up with a heat gun and then pull it off. I booted up and everything was fine (no artifacts in 3DMark03 or in UT2K3) so I then got to work preparing my D8000. I first cut out all the grills with my tin snips and then cleaned it up with my dremel. I dremeled some custom mounts for my case fans, and then very carefully cleaned out my case with the help of a shop vac and a high pressure air tank that my dad uses to clean out filters for chainsaws, cars, tractors, etc. Following Katana's mod to the front intake, I dremeled out the restrictive plastic and glued some modders mesh in there I painted black. With the case mods completed, I carefully applied the AcoustiPack Deluxe on the top, bottom and both of my case doors. With my case mods completed, I began to transfer my components from my Sonata to my D8000. Everything worked out great for the first few weeks except I began to notice one slight problem:

Since the PSU had no fresh air coming in from the sides of the case (like my old Sonata) the fan was speeding up to compensate for all the warm/hot air it was receiving. To me this got to an unacceptable level so I ordered up a 350W Fortron Aurora PSU from www.newegg.com. After installing my new Fortron I was very surprised to see that it was LOUDER than my old Antec TP380W PSU. This is because even though you have a manual control knob at the rear of the PSU to decide how fast you want the fan to run, that fan is ALSO temperature controlled so with all the hot air in my case being forced into the PSU, it sped up to probalby about 7-8V which was way too fast for me. On a whim, I decided what the heck, I'll just mod my Antec TP380W PSU with a Panaflo L1A. I went downstairs, soldered the L1A to the PSU fan connector wires and threw her in the case. All said and done this mod was very successful! However, after feeling the very hot air that was coming out of the PSU I decided that it was too dangerous to risk losing my PSU and possibly other components due to it overheating. I made a PSU duct out of cardboard that I taped into an emptry 3.5 bay in the top of my case (I cut out an empty bay cover with my dremel and glued some modders mesh in it) and my PSU now exhausts only slightly warm air, and when I open up my case and touch it from the side and bottom it is mostly slightly warm but sometimes when it's cold in my room (70F or lower) the PSU is COLD to the touch. Problem solved! As of now I am VERY happy with how this has turned out. At night (I leave this computer on 24/7) this is nearly inaudible, I have to strain to hear it. During the day when I'm not sleeping, I dont even notice it is on. Anyways, enough of my blabbering, onto the pictures!

EDIT: I've been modifying my case alot recently, so I guess it's time to give it the old update. What's new in my case now is the bird-house mod (much thanks to Bluefront for this idea) the front USB ports added to the floppy cover, and I changed my PSU duct from taking up one 5.25 bay to two.

Here's my case from the front:

The inside of my case:

The inside right part of my case:

This is a close up of the top part of my case:

Here's three different angles of the inside of my birdhouse; it houses two Samsung SP1213N drives:

This one shows you my psu duct that has been modified countless times

This is a close up of my front usb ports. I cut the hole in the floppy cover with my dremel, and then glued/taped the connector in place.

For temperatures I get 42C idle, 54 full load on my CPU, and 29 for case temp (ambient room temp of 72.7F). I only have one computer so I use this for everything; mainly gaming. I play UT2K4, Far Cry, Halo, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Splinter Cell, Doom III among others. I also use this for school work (MS Word), E-Mail, and watching DVD's, and websurfing. I leave it on 24/7 and at night during the spring/summer the crickets outside my window along with the wind and all those other nature sounds drown out all noise from my PC. The only time I can hear it is if I am sitting directly next to it and I have no music playing with my windows closed; this happens mostly in the winter. At night during the winter it is just a dull rush of air/whirring I hear that sounds like one huge fan running VERY slow. Any comments, suggestions, questions, are welcome![/img]
Last edited by MonsterMac on Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:32 pm

Sup dude

i can tell u put alot of work into this.

I got some questions.

How quiet would u say ur case is? like can u hear it from a meter away? a foot?

did u do anything to decouple ur HDD?

Where did u put ur ascoutica fan temperature thing at? how fast does it run at?

what are ur HDD temps?

Does ur vid card have a fan on it?

thats all i could think of now

good work

~RaNDoM

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:10 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:Sup dude

i can tell u put alot of work into this.

I got some questions.

How quiet would u say ur case is? like can u hear it from a meter away? a foot?

did u do anything to decouple ur HDD?

Where did u put ur ascoutica fan temperature thing at? how fast does it run at?

what are ur HDD temps?

Does ur vid card have a fan on it?

thats all i could think of now

good work

~RaNDoM
My case is quiet to my standards; but with the right components, it could be ALOT more quiet than it is now. Some things I'm looking into getting in the future is a Samnsung 120gig SP hard drive which would replace the 120gig WD SE hard drive I have now because whiel the seek noise doesn't bother me too much, the whine from the WD is just too much to take.

My HD is decoupled from the case with the rubber groomets on the HD cage. This 'muffles' the seek noise quite a bit, but in the future with more queit components in my case, I may try to suspend my HD.

My HD is almost always at 29C, highest i've seen it go up to is 34C which is very safe, most drives are made to run up to 50C-55C.

For the AcoustiFan in the front of my case, I put the Temperature probe right to the right of the fan if your looking at my case from the front. You might be able to see it in the picture where I showed my HD and AF from the inside; or in the picture where you see the back of my case if you look carefully. However, in reguards to the acoustifan, at the moment it seems to be running alot faster than I'd like it to, even with the resistor on it, and the temperature control in a 'cold' part of the case. In the future, I'm just going to buy Globe 120mm Thermally Controlled fans from www.mnpctech.com because they seem to run slower, and quieter even without the resistor and they're 9 dollars compared to the 25 dollars an AcoustiFan costs, and IMHO they work just as well.

My videocard has not been modified yet, but in the near future I plan to but the Arctic VGA Silencer on it to lower the noise and keep it cooler. I would put the Zalman HP cooler with the optional fan on it, but I've heard that acts like a big radiator in your case because of it's size (more so than the VGA Silencer would).

Thanks for the comments! :D

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:12 am

A computer in bed with you? Tsk tsk. Have you considered counseling? :)

M

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:46 am

The big red and black cable in your 5th picture looks like a coral snake. It skeered me.

No seriously, are those globe fans really quiet? My rule thus far has been that a 92mm Panaflo will do the same job with less noise. Maybe I'm wrong.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:50 pm

Yep. For me, the Globe 120mm fan has been outperforming my AcoustiFan. However, it seems it moves less air than the AcoustiFan. This may be due to one of two reasons: I have a resistor attatched to it, or it just moves less air than it. For 9 bucks, it's your best bang for the buck.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:30 am

Well I just added a Panaflo L1A to my PSU instead of the stock antec fan in there, I also added a Thermalright SLK-900A w/ Zalman 92mm fan, and a vga silencer to my case. Pics soon to follow!

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:40 pm

Pic's are in so check it out! :D

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Wed May 12, 2004 10:10 am

I'm just going to buy Globe 120mm Thermally Controlled fans from www.mnpctech.com because they seem to run slower, and quieter even without the resistor and they're 9 dollars compared to the 25 dollars an AcoustiFan costs, and IMHO they work just as well
Its great hearing from more people what Jim and I discovered about the Globe fans over a year ago. Youre right, they are the best bang for your buck 120mm fan.

The Globes are going like hot cakes @ $8.49 each :shock: and most orders are shipped within 24hours!
http://www.mnpctech.com/Globe.html

Nice mod work MonsterMac :wink:

Bill Owen

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed May 12, 2004 1:10 pm

Bill Owen wrote:
I'm just going to buy Globe 120mm Thermally Controlled fans from www.mnpctech.com because they seem to run slower, and quieter even without the resistor and they're 9 dollars compared to the 25 dollars an AcoustiFan costs, and IMHO they work just as well
Its great hearing from more people what Jim and I discovered about the Globe fans over a year ago. Youre right, they are the best bang for your buck 120mm fan.

Bill Owen
I just had my first experience with these Globe fans and I'm pretty impressed. They won't start below 6V but at 6V they're just a tiny bit louder than my reference 5V OEM 120mm L1A's and the have less clicking.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Wed May 12, 2004 7:54 pm

Yep, I think it's agreed that Globe 120mm fans are the way to go for quality and price. By the way, I just replaced my whiney WD caviar 120gig with a Samsung 120gig SP1213N (NIDEC) so it's a whole lot more quiet than it was before, pics soon to follow. 8)

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Tue May 18, 2004 12:37 pm

Updated with my new pics of the completed PSU duct (whole thing is ducted now whereas it was half of it before) and pics of my new Samsung SP HD. Enjoy.

fluxu8

Post by fluxu8 » Wed May 19, 2004 6:30 am

Nice rig MonsterMac! Pretty close to the same thing.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Thu May 20, 2004 11:13 am

thanks; except your wiring is much neater :wink:

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:29 pm

UPDATE:

I recently just completely took out the front 120mm fan which had two resistors attached to it [it was probably running at about 4-5V, I had to start it by hand when I booted up my computer (which isnt often)]. For me it was making more noise (mainly an annoying clicking noise) than it was doing good, so I took it out and the temps are about 1C higher if that all around, not bad for less noise!

MonsterMac

D8000 Update

Post by MonsterMac » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:07 pm

see original post for latest update.
Last edited by MonsterMac on Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: D8000 Update

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:14 am

MonsterMac wrote:The only real messy part of the case is where the wires are all bunched together in the middle right corner right below the PSU duct. If anyone has any ideas on where to hide these wires, please let me know!
Run 'em behind the PSU so they're behind the mobo tray, then over to the front of the case behind the 5.25" drive bays. Run the wires that you need out into the case and leave all the unused wires behind the mobo tray.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:44 am

Couple of questions:

1. Just to be sure I understand what I am seeing, are you ducting fresh air to the PSU by partitioning off that top optical bay to the intake vents of the PSU?

2. Should we start a business to mass produce Blue's non-patented birdhouse/cookie-jar/hard drive cage?

MonsterMac

Re: D8000 Update

Post by MonsterMac » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:44 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
MonsterMac wrote:The only real messy part of the case is where the wires are all bunched together in the middle right corner right below the PSU duct. If anyone has any ideas on where to hide these wires, please let me know!
Run 'em behind the PSU so they're behind the mobo tray, then over to the front of the case behind the 5.25" drive bays. Run the wires that you need out into the case and leave all the unused wires behind the mobo tray.
I did that with all of my other wires, like the power connectors for my videocard, but the power connectors to my disc drives don't reach :( they're too short, so I have to keep those right next to them for now, same goes for the power connectors for my hard drives.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:46 pm

Wedge -
1.) Yeah I made the PSU duct take up the top two 5.25" bays, but the only actual intake is in the top 5.25" bay, I figure that's enough of an opening to let in all the fresh air the PSU will ever need.

2.) I think so :).