Juggling the airflow demands of the CPU and PSU

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

echoes

Juggling the airflow demands of the CPU and PSU

Post by echoes » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:48 pm

For a PC that I need to build soon, I'm considering using an Alpha 8055, and then ducting that output to the side vents on this Evercase 4252.

I also want to use a Seasonic Tornado PSU, which has a bottom mounted 120 mm fan.

Will I run into problems by having the PSU suck from the bottom when the CPU HSF is also trying to suck? In other words, will the two fans just be fighting each other for air because they'll be so close to each other? Will there be too much sucking going on? :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Or should I get a Seasonic Super Silencer, with the vertical 80 mm instead?

Or am I better off avoiding a sucking heatsink like Alphas anyways?

NeilBlanchard

the Evercase can handle it...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:32 pm

Hello:

I would say that an Alpha and two 120mm fans would be a good thing... The rear 120mm is acting as the HS fan and also contributing to the case air flow, and the Super Tornado would likely be kept running nice a slow since the CPU's heat would get directly out of the case. If the Evercase comes with it side "snorkel" that would be fine, or you could just block up the side grill and maximize the air coming in the front -- and it can handle it!

echoes

Post by echoes » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:20 pm

Thanks.

My plan is to use the Evercase's side "snorkel" with an 80 mm fan right on the heatsink. That fan and the Seasonic PSU's 120 mm fans will provide exhaust for the case.

I'm really crossing my fingers that I can get away with just those 2 fans for the whole PC.

msm_zgok

Post by msm_zgok » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:03 pm

I sealed off the side vents in my 4252 and I can feel air currents flowing through the front, eliminating the need for a front intake fan to cool the HDD. Now all I need to do is to get an air filter.

I think if you left the side vents open the negative pressure would attract air from the side instead of the front. Remember to seal off any holes that aren't part of the duct.