Slimline CD Drives

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

everclear

Slimline CD Drives

Post by everclear » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:51 pm

I've been lurking here for the last week and spending a considerable amount of time reading the reviews. It's an excellent site. After all that reading, I have decided to go down the fanless route. If I built a quiet fan cooled system and the noise still bugged me I wouldn't be happy! Most of the work (web, mail, SSH) I do doesn't require a huge amount of processing power. Using a 1Ghz VIA CPU/motherboard seems like a good option for me as I wouldn't be happy trying to passively cool a bigger CPU.

Here is my current hardware shopping list..

Scythe E-Otonashi EPIA M Case Black £109.00
EPIA MII 10000 1Ghz Motherboard £115.00
Samsung MP0402H 40GB 2.5" HDD £52.00
Crucial 512MB DDR PC2100 CAS2.5 £49.95
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound £5.75

...but something is missing. I've been looking around and can't find any reviews or comments on quiet slimline CD drives. Does anyone know of a quiet slimline cd drive? Any advice on the drive issue or the above spec would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:56 am

The TEAC slimline DVD drive in my HUSH mini-ITX PC is quieter than any of the other (ful size) optical drives I own or have used recently.

I have never heard a slimline optical drive that was loud. That is probably the reason you can't find any info on it.

Linus

Post by Linus » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:48 pm

I have a Panasonic CW-8123-B (~$80 at NewEgg) that is considerably quieter than my old Pioneer 6X drive. It never bothers me, whereas the Pioneer sure did.

It also happens to be slot-loading, which I really like.