A64 system suggestions to quiet down please?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Multi

A64 system suggestions to quiet down please?

Post by Multi » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:15 am

Hello everyone,

Normally I wouldn't be lurking in these forums and learning what I can, but recently I purchased a completely new system for my family in an Antec Sonata case. I was surprised at it's noise level: standing near it I couldn't hear much except the high-pitched whine coming from my computer down the hall in my room! So I decided my next computer would be quiet, ending my streak of running loud ass fans and stuff for ocing after many years. No more Delta fans for me!

Anyway, I'd like to run this by people, just in case I missed something, silence w/o sacrificing performance. Here's my plan:

Case: Antec 3700BQE
CPU: A64 3500+
CPU HSF: Zalman 7000AlCu(A?B?) or the XP-120 w/ Globe fan (any fit issues?)
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Video: BFG Nvidia 6800 GT (a gift, currently idling in my computer)
PSU: 400W Seasonic Super Silencer
HDD: Samsung 160GB SATA SP1614C

I had a couple concerns. Is a front intake fan needed in this system? Are there any fitting issues with the two HSFs above? I heard the 6800 GT is loud (although it's sorta drowned out right now) should I get the NV Silencer 5? Where's the best place to get a Seasonic psu and HSF? Any other suggestions to quiet the system down?

Thanks for looking!

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:12 am

In "stickies" at the top of Deals, Vendors & Classifieds you can find where to buy silencing supplies.

NeilBlanchard

Welcome to SPCR!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:59 am

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

You're on the right track. The BQE probably has adequate room above the edge of the motherboard for almost all except when the socket is *right* at the edge, and you used the Thermalright.

You should be fine w/o a from fan unless your ambient temps are high. In a simialr system with two 160GB Samsungs, I needed to add a Nexus front fan because they had no AC.

I would use a 300watt Super Tornado -- no need at all for the 400...

The other motherboard I would consider is the Asus with the same nVidia nForce3 250 chipset. I don't think either is undervoltable, unfortunately -- can anyone tell me that I'm wrong?

Multi

Post by Multi » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:40 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the replies! Would there be an acoustic difference between the 300w vs. the 400w due to different loads and fan ramping?

NeilBlanchard

I doubt it.

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:18 am

Hello:
Multi wrote:Would there be an acoustic difference between the 300w vs. the 400w due to different loads and fan ramping?
I doubt that there would be a difference: they have the same case and same fan, and probably the same fan control circuit. I f you use the same level of power from each, they will probably produce the same amount of heat, and therefore the fan will run at the same speed...

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:32 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:
Multi wrote:Would there be an acoustic difference between the 300w vs. the 400w due to different loads and fan ramping?
I doubt that there would be a difference: they have the same case and same fan, and probably the same fan control circuit. I f you use the same level of power from each, they will probably produce the same amount of heat, and therefore the fan will run at the same speed...
The 400w model might even be equipped with a more powerful fan (read: noisier).

Cheers,

Jan

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:40 am

You will need to do something about the 6800gt. It's all I can hear in my case. I have an arctic cooler nv5 on order and will run the fan thru a fan controller, as the cooler is a single speed 2500 rpm fan. The ati are far quieter, i'm hoping to get my 6800gt as quiet.

Multi

Post by Multi » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:16 pm

I seems that the XP-120 is NOT compatible with the Neo2. Zalman 7000 it is then. I might cut some costs and go Socket 754 though. Anyone have the new DFI Lanparty UT?

Regarding PSUs, it just feels strange "downgrading" from 350W to 300W, and it will probably always feel weird :) Does the Super Tornado 400W use a different fan than the 300W?

Glassman: Thanks for the advice, I'll try to pick up a Nv Silencer 5 along w/ the system; let me know how yours fares.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:44 am

Multi wrote:I seems that the XP-120 is NOT compatible with the Neo2. Zalman 7000 it is then.
<Checks ThermalRight website> Bu(mm)er.
I wonder if there's another S939 NF3 250GB/Ultra motherboard that's worth switching to for the sake of using this cooler, or whether the XP-90 will prove better than the CNPS-7000. I'll be waiting to see what Edward Ng thinks of his XP-90 before I take the plunge.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:50 am

But it is not. I would just say that... there is no harm in getting the bigger model, which will handle higher temps a bit better than the lower power one. Both have enough power for your system; it will probably never draw more than 160~170W for DC -- maybe 220~240W-AC power draw with a Seasonic.

Where the higher power model might also be better is in poor AC electricity supply conditions -- ie, if you often get brownouts and other lowered voltages on the AC line, a higher power model will deliver proportionately more power more easily than a lower powered one -- all other things being equal.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:31 am

MikeC wrote:
But it is not. I would just say that... there is no harm in getting the bigger model, which will handle higher temps a bit better than the lower power one. Both have enough power for your system; it will probably never draw more than 160~170W for DC -- maybe 220~240W-AC power draw with a Seasonic.
My bad! :oops:

I should have read the entire thread when I posted. SeaSonic supplies should have equal acoustical properties on the entire line-up. I'd buy one but they don't sell 'em here...

Cheers,

Jan

y2jdmbfan

Post by y2jdmbfan » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:46 pm

Just so you know, the Seasonic 400W wouldn't adequately power my system. I was getting power loss messages with my 6800 Ultra and it was clocking down. I am looking for a replacement for my awesome but VERY LOUD PC POWER & COOLING 510 DELUXE.....Plus the Seasonic doesn't have any SATA connectors, only 5 regular molex connectors for drives and the 6800 and is only 22A. I thought it would be enough, ,but it wasn't...I am gonna try the Enermax Noisetaker 470 I bought and see if it is any better, I am not even gonna open the Vantec 520W "Stealth" I bought either...

Athlon 64 3500+ w/Zalman 7000A-Cu /MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
2x512 Crucial Ballistix PC3200
xFx nVidia GeForceFX 6800 Ultra
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS
PC Power&Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe
WDigital Raptor 74GB SATA / Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA
Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300GB SATA
Plextor Premium CD-R/W & Plextor PX-712A
Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
Cooler Master CM Stacker

Y2J