need help choosing a silent psu to replace my "whisper&

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hugekebab

need help choosing a silent psu to replace my "whisper&

Post by hugekebab » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:32 pm

edit*

hi,

ive got a problem with my enermax-its too noisy. im pretty sure that it is the enermax making this high pitched noise, but one thing that is strange is that it makes noise according to if i scroll up and down in explorer or perform certain operations. its really really really annoying. (really!)
is it possible for a psu to behave like this or does it have to be my cpu (i really think this sound is coming direct from the psu ive put my ear next to it and everything- also my graphics card is passively cooled so it cant be that.

so with this in mind, ive got about 50/60 uk pounds to spend on a new psu. 350-450w shuld do the job. it has to be bloody quiet though (i was considering a 0db passive psu but they are incredibly expensive-unless u guys know better!)

anyway sorry if this post is a bit noobie, i have done a search and i jhave seen the big list of psus, and note the seasonic (i think its called) were high up. wuld u guys recommend this also? or wuld u recommend the passively cooled jobbies (the two on the list seemed ropey, but i have noted there are many different types now available on the market.

thanks guys.

sam

p.s sorry mod i did look for a psu section but couldnt find it, then saw it after i posted doh! feel free to move it over there.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:53 am

If you search the forums for "enermax coil noise" or "enermax coil whine", then you see a lot of people experienced the same problem.

Look in our list of recommended PSU's (its on page three). Not on the list because it is so new, is the Nexus NX-4090. Once it is tested it will probably be one of the top performers.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:07 am

i will await the review of the nexus cus it seems just right, and is 53 quid from kustom pcs which i can live with.

wuld appreciate anyone who has this giving me their opinion on it also.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:17 am

Several SPCR regulars who are happy with it:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14260
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13829

If you search the PSU forum for "4090" then you can find several more.