Hole cutting advice

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

annefromuk

Hole cutting advice

Post by annefromuk » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:36 pm

Hi all,

Before I even get my new case, I am already thinking of putting a hole in the side panel to use as an air intake :shock:

As I don't have any experience of cutting metal (I preferred to chat during Design & Technology Class :oops: ), I am wondering if there is some where on the net that has step-by-step pictures I can follow :?:

Also the case will be aluminium; so any tips on minimising scratches while cutting will be appreciated :)

Regards
Anne

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:09 pm

Well there are a couple things I'd recommend:

First of all you should use a hole saw for the job. Ask around and see if anybody has one in the right size (whatever size you want the hole) that you can borrow.

Secondly, you should make the cut from the outside of the panel if you know what I mean!? Don't cut from the inside out. That way if there is any shredding when the saw goes through, it will at least be on the inside.

Third, it's a good idea to cover the part you're gonna cut with tape (duct tape for example). That way you get a much cleaner cut.

Hope that helps :)

You could try and look here http://users.bigpond.net.au/acp/case/main2.html. It should give you a good idea on what to do. Happy cutting ;)

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:06 pm

Or take the easy option and just get a case with a hole already made for you. Many cases nowadays already have side mounted holes, I have seen plenty and are even found in value cases. :shock:

Might save you a bit of money having to buy all the neccesary tools.

annefromuk

Post by annefromuk » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:04 am

Silly me, here I was worried about ending up with an odd shaped circle when all I need is a 'Hole Saw'
I might try the local Hire Shop to see if they have any.

The case I am interested in does have a panel with a hole in (as an option), but it's also see-thru.. so I'm not sure about this easy route due to not knowing the possible side-effects it will have on the sound.

I am going to line the panel with Acoustic Dampening as well, which I could no longer do with a see-thru panel.

Regards
Anne

RaffeS

Post by RaffeS » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:11 am

aluminium is much easier to make holes through.
just take it easy use a hole saw, and use you dremel to make the hole to look nice.

the link Boomerang Rapido provided will help you. =)

Bat

Post by Bat » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:11 pm

Use tin snips (aviation snips). See this thread:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=2307
(Perhaps the meat from that thread should be linked from the articles section, or the thread should be made sticky or something?)

blakerwry

Post by blakerwry » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:39 pm

one addition to the above list.... In would put some material behind the sheet you're drilling through... such as a 1" x 8" sheet of lumber or particle board. This will help make the cut cleaner and will prevent you from damaging the bit/ the surface you're drilling on.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:45 pm

If this is meant to be a quiet case, a hole on the side will hurt for sure. You're better off thinking of another way to bring in fresh air.

annefromuk

Post by annefromuk » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:11 am

Hi,

I was concerned about the possible increase in noise, but would having a intake hole placed anywhere effect the sound level :?:

The way I was going to try and lower the noise is to use an air filter on the intake hole, and then use ducting all the way to the processor fan/hs.
Although I am still looking for suitable ducting and a way to line the duct with sound absorbing material.

Regards
Anne

blakerwry

Post by blakerwry » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:06 pm

Sound bounces, but travels straight... so if the offending noise makers(like the HSF or HDD) have a "line of site" exit out of the case then you can be sure noise will escape, if you can bounce the sound around a couple of times and reflect it back inside the case you will greatly reduce the amount of sounds that escapes...

Check out http://www.muffledcomputing.com/why.html for more details...

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:19 pm

Knockout punches may be the best option for ease of use & hole quality, but the cost could be prohibitive.

McMaster has some listed here. They are not the least expensive place to buy anything.

But, then, I'm firmly anti-dremel.

nocturnal

Post by nocturnal » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:20 am

What I use is an adjustable hole cutting tool of the variety with the metal cut-off bit in the business end. Used in a drill press with frequent
resharpening and cut lubrication gets the job done quick and VERY neat.

The hole surface needs supporting and backing with a clamped piece of wood makes the back side of the cut less trouble to file smooth. You can even forgo any trim on a hole done by this process, although on painted surfaces the shinyness of the edge can be a distaction best covered bysome flat black trim. front inlet and rear exhaust holes look great "as is".