Fanless server in closet and reserator outside (drill free)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

One

Fanless server in closet and reserator outside (drill free)

Post by One » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:09 am

Abit NF7-M (with Zalman ZM-NB47J)
AMD Mobile 2400+ 35W (AXMD2400FJQ4C)
Zalman Reserator 1
SilverStone ST30NF fanless PSU
Samsung SP1614N (on foam)
Antec 3700BQE without casedoor, no fans running. (But a case is not really needed, the closet is like a big case)
2x 1.8 meter PS/2 extension cables. (For keyboard and mouse)

This system costs about $1000 and has no noise except the harddrive and reserator. No drilling is needed.

First I had SmartPower 350S PSU running at 55-60W load, but it was too loud so I put it into the closet with the closet door slightly open, I saw no difference in temps and the noise was cut in half. Of course the PSU fan needs to face the door opening so hot air goes out. Temps were about 43C CPU and 30C mainboard with the casedoor closed, with AMD Mobile 2400+ underclocked to 166x8.5 @ 1.1v (8rdavcore).

After I got SilverStone ST30NF fanless PSU I moved the computer out of the closet but the harddrive was way too loud (I didn't know it was this loud!!), so I moved it back again to see if it helped, but this time I removed the casedoor because I had no fans running. Now I couldn't hear the harddrive anymore but I could still hear the Reserator from 3 meters. I put a cloth under the Reserator so most of the base was in the air, it removed the vibrations transmitted to the floor, but there is still humming noise that I can't do anything about, I can still hear it from 2 meters in a silent room. Temps were 44C CPU and 31C mainboard.

Because I have a fanless PSU I can overclock the CPU without the PSU fan ramping up. The best seems 166x14 @ 1.575v. Temps are 48-50C CPU and 33-36C mainboard. Folding 24/7. PSU load is 85-90W.

My Xavi modem has a very annoying high pitch whine so I have it inside the closet too and can't hear it anymore. My APC BACK-UPS 650VA that I use for my gaming rig also has a slight high pitch whine (I turn it off before sleep), but my APC Back-UPS ES 500VA doesn't bother me.

http://vp3.0catch.com/pictures/computer.htm

Monitor cable was just long enough.

With SmartPower 350S PSU.

Pen holder thing, the middle part is for envelopes or something.
Last edited by One on Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:31 am

Not pretty, but very nice. Must be very quiet.

um. Why do you have six mice??

rbsteffes

Post by rbsteffes » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:48 am

I'm guessing because the cat died.

One

Post by One » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:59 am

Likif wrote:Not pretty, but very nice. Must be very quiet.

um. Why do you have six mice??
I have 4 mice, the other 2 that look like mice are receivers. All my mice are cordless, I use different mice for different games. Trust Ami Mouse 250S Cordless (old IR version=better grip) for Virtual Pool 3 and reaction time games (40 ms faster than MX700 for some reason, even when it has IR connection), cheap noname mouse for my server (got it for free), Labtec Wireless Optical Mini Mouse was meant for Virtual Pool 3 but it needs grip modifications plus it doesn't work with Corepad, so I don't use it (Was the only optical wireless that uses AAA batteries, need a light mouse for speed control), and I use Logitech MX700 for everything else, games, Internet... etc.

I use 3 mousepads too. I use the 66.6cm wide black board for very low sensitivity games with MX700 mouse (best for UT CTF instagib games). I use the Corepad for high sensitivity games like Quake3. I also have Everglide Giganta Optical that is best for pixel per pixel movements.

Logitech MX700 is the most quiet of these mice (button click sound). And the most quiet mousepad is Corepad.

kattisavan

Post by kattisavan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:48 pm

So in other words you are a hardcore-gamer :)

I like your setup, some day i too will be using silent watercooling.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:51 pm

rbsteffes wrote:I'm guessing because the cat died.
Am I the only one that thought that was hilarious? :lol:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:58 am

ONEshot wrote:
rbsteffes wrote:I'm guessing because the cat died.
Am I the only one that thought that was hilarious? :lol:
No, I did too but I saw no reason to post a useless post commenting on it.

(oops, but I just did anyway! :D Ha-Ha! Oh well, PC++!!)

ascii

Post by ascii » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:22 am

4 mice, huh?

Different mouspads for different gametypes. Even though you use optical mice...

So.... Are you a professional gamer or just clinically insane? :wink: