Just placed my first "quieting" order

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Just placed my first "quieting" order

Post by MainframeGuy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:49 am

after deciding on PSU and knowing I had to get fan alternative for my ATI 9700 the order I put in goes like this:-

Product Name: Tagan TG480-U01 480W Silent PSU
=============================================================================
Product Name: Zalman ZM80D-HP Heatpipe VGA Cooler
=============================================================================
Product Name: Gigabyte 3D Cooler-Ultra GT AMD XP/ P4/ K8 Copper Cooler

I am hoping this will make quite a bit of difference to my AMD XP3000+ system, whilst realising that the stock case and Gigabyte cooler are the weak links I think against the existing QTEC PSU and stock cooling solutions I should get down to acceptable levels for this machine as I forsee it's future (it is a server-in waiting, pending funds for my A64 build).

Also if all goes well with graphics card and case temps then that will move out to my new machine. I was tempted by the Gigabyte Rocket cooler, but overclockers only had this one and I wanted to source from the one supplier. Hopefully with fan controller set to 2,000 rpm this CPU cooler will still give enough cooling and stay quiet (if not I will have to turn it up and suffer the noise - maybe thinking about acoustic foam or similar for the case to compensate).

Any opinions welcome - I have tried to make informed choices (so I am aware of the danger of "clicking" with my PSU!)

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

PS

Post by MainframeGuy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:05 pm

It has just occurred to me I did not ask a sort of obvious question....

When you get a set of equipment like this destined for a noisy system is it worth installing each component one by one? Or since it is obviously easier should one go for the grand slam approach to enjoy the total effect right away? I suspect it comes down to preference - unless one is reviewing one of the parts or somesuch....

But any comments on that would also be welcome - I got an email telling me my order is with the courier, so I am hoping to be putting these in soon - I'll probably post back how it goes...

NeilBlanchard

Welcome to SPCR, guy!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:44 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR:

I would highly recommend that you choose your components from the recomended list. The Tagan PS may be quiet, but it is more likely that it is somewhat noisy. A Seasonic Super Tornado, or Fortron 120mm would be my choice -- good air flow and still very quiet.

The Zalman video cooler might work fine passively -- if the case air flow is good enough, or you might have to add a quiet fan blowing on it.

I have no idea what a Gigabyte 3D Cooler-Ultra is, but I doubt that it will hold a candle to a Zalman 7000 Al/Cu, or an Alpha, and certainly not a Thermalright 120 -- which would be the coolest IF you can fit it.

What is your stock case? Can you improve it with some tin snips? :shock:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:14 pm

Neil gives good advice ;)

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:43 pm

2000 rpm on any sort of fan is noisy by this sites standards. Come down to about 1000 - 1300 rpm, now you're talking. Naturally, to be able to run your fans at such low speeds, you need a VERY efficient heatsink system, be it on your CPU, GPU, etc.

So, Neil's recommendations & a look at the recommended lists :)

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:05 am

Thankyou all, and especially Neil, for your feedback.

It makes me realise how new I am to this - hopefully this shopping will be a learning experience and not a complete wash out. Luckily for me the target DBa for this machine are not too aggresive - it will eventually be sited in a hallway where perhaps 25 - 30 DBa may be acceptable.

I am hoping I will discover from this how much difference simply moving from stock to somewhat quiet make - I will take things further and modify the case later if need be - perhaps making space for a quiet 120mm fan at rear and attempting some sort of ducting for PSU (that one was pricey, so will be my biggest dissappointment if it is a failure!).

My next build will be from bottom up with Nexus Breeze case, and most agggresive target since I am hoping to end up with a machine in the bedroom that my wife can live with powered up! This means it has to be undetectable by her more or less, although she seems to forgive my laptop (I do not know the DBa rating for notebooks, but would love to know if anyone has such a figuere for an eMachines M5100?)

I'll post back when I fit them, I am sure all you say is true but (hopefully) so long as system is QUIETER I shall feel I am progressing/learning and not be disheartened!

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

One out of three (bad?)

Post by MainframeGuy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:20 am

Well - the short version of events that transpired is that despite going for the "grand slam" I have only really installed the PSU and downgraded my CPU fan. This is not all bad news, I do have a much quieter machine now so am not displeased.

The longer version - I had the machine apart and PSU out, decided to tackle graphics card first as it is quite involved, took it out and fan off, applied RAM heatsinks, only then to my horror realised the two required 3mm mounting holes were not exactly present, my 9700 is a crucial branded one and they have used some spring loaded plastic peg arrangement to mount to PCB - one that appears fixed. So had to give up on that, but returned to remove stock CPU heatsinkg and fan, cleaned CPU (was pleased to do this, looked like previous job was not so good!) then, to my horror on unpacking Gigabyte cooler I find no clips of any description whatsoever are included! This is clearly a mistake, there is even a checklist in the manual which includes three different clip configurations and a power lead - yet none present!

At that point I gave up for the evening (last night) thinking better to approach things in the morning. So the next day I head off to a local store and although they have some QuietPC heatsink/fans none seems right for my CPU/case and I have to settle for a "GlacialTech" Igloo2421 which claims 26 DBa but is not a very inspired Alu h/s (So I know fan will have no chance to drop revs and CPU will run hot!). This is a stop-gap pending RMA or whatever on the Gigabyte.

Then the PSU, which to my surprise goes very smoothly with only a fiddly earthing to the mobo to bother me. Coming to power up I am a little nervous, but again all goes smoothly - although the temp rising has me nervous again and under load I do infact hit a new record that triggers my MBM alarm (I always set this about three degrees C above what I think is the highest for my system under normal conditions).

So, in conclusion - I seem to have ended up swapping in one component (assuming the CPU arrangement is almost as loud, which I am guessing it is). Actually I would recommend this approach to others with hindsight - mine was forced on me by failure - the point is that way you can appreciate the value of each change separately. I am happy to say my PSU change is without doubt the more significant - although it definitely is reflected in a couple of degrees added to the case temp and a warmer area towards the rear back, I cannot see any other way since the PSU has to loose it's heat somehow!

Admittedly my case is in dire need of tin snips and possibly more - the potential air intake at the front is almost entirely obscured by decorative perspex. Then again this is destined to be a server - the hefty 480w PSU has plenty spare molex and for a real power application I think I would recommend it - I do not believe I can hear it (but I have an 80mm fan in there at 2,400 rpm and a 9700pro which is still fan cooled). So actually I am happy I have done enough - it is just a shame almost half my order value was "wasted" (pending RMA negotiations). I am only at 5.5 hours uptime right now, but although hot system seems stable.

To sum up - a learning experience for sure, but one that has whetted my appetite for my next build where I can hopefully achieve far better quietness.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:25 pm

If you can I'd definitely go for the Zalman 7000 Al-Cu next time for the HSF if it will fit. I have one and I haven't built a system in the last 6 months that didn't include it as the HSF. Even with the fan at 5 volts and only 1300 rpm my system stays at under 45C full load. (Similar to yours, I run a Mobile Barton XP at 2ghz)

Glad you're happy with the system, but when you build your next one, the stuff on that Recommended list can't be beat with the exception of a few parts that are newer and haven't made their way onto the list yet.