most ghetto rig ever

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Straker

most ghetto rig ever

Post by Straker » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:02 pm

doesn't really count since i won't be using it for more than a couple days, but have to post because it's still awesome.
have no other empty cases around so i had to move my current pc into this to work on my normal case. it's my absolutely ancient server case, made sometime in early 96 or before, supports both AT and ATX. not the PSU it came with either, but the original was some generic 235W PSU... that one has earned itself a break anyways, having rendered somewhere over 60000 hours of service.
no exhaust aside from the 80mm PSU fan, i wedged a 120mm Evercool in the front with masking tape, left it at 12V since i wasn't sure how ventilation would be (check out the little holes all down the back, and the generous 60mm? mount at the back). left the entire bezel off for the same reason, i bet there's more air drifting out that gaping front hole than there is coming from the backs of most of your PCs right now. :D
back inside
front inside
the front
that last pic doesn't fully capture the finger-slashing glory of the 30 second hack job i did on the meager hole-punched fan + speaker grill either, the flash caught one nice point right above the fan though.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:14 am

That looks better than 90% of the cases you see posted at [H]ardOCP. You'll have to try a little harder to earn the coveted title of "Most Ghetto Rig EVAR". :)

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:20 am

Heck, I can do better than that with my wallmount setup. What's missing in the picture is the CD drive that sits on the window sill above when needed.

Wallmount system

Straker

Post by Straker » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:27 am

pfft, wall mount has no sharp edges, nor does it insult you with a 60mm fan mount. :(
if it helps any, the tolerances of the case are so poor i couldn't even get the bottom two screws in the mb, they seemed to fit the ancient PPro mb i had fine though. :) normally i would have just put everything together and left it on the carpet, but i'm usually running late every single morning so something expensive would inevitably get kicked hard or rolled over with a caster.

i wonder if anyone has ever made a case out of lego or meccano or something, but with all the components simply screwed to each other rather than to a halfway proper frame?

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:12 pm

Hah!
Crisspy's got all of you beat with his Crisspy's silent milk crate!

Even I've never seen anything more ghetto than that! :lol:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:08 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:Hah!
Crisspy's got all of you beat with his Crisspy's silent milk crate!

Even I've never seen anything more ghetto than that! :lol:

I was going to mention that but I didn't want to turn this thread into some sort of "NO, my case is more ghetto than yours" throw-down. :)

Straker

Post by Straker » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:56 pm

no worries there, i didn't do it on purpose. :P
now that you mention it though, i may have to go steal some hubcaps

Rory B.

Post by Rory B. » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:55 am

There's a picture on flyers around my college campus (Purdue) that is advertising for a LAN party, and it shows a motherboard hanging from a hanger in a closet, with power supply and HDD and peripheral cables coming off of it.

Straker

Post by Straker » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:22 am

heh that is awesome. blade servers for like 3% of the price of uppity overengineered crap

username17

Post by username17 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:22 pm

Zyzzyx wrote:Heck, I can do better than that with my wallmount setup. What's missing in the picture is the CD drive that sits on the window sill above when needed.

Wallmount system
Yah, but how many times has the video card fallen out?
Oh ya, AGP clip, nevermind.
-Jason