Screwed; need new HSF or swap Mobo?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DijabutiA

Screwed; need new HSF or swap Mobo?

Post by DijabutiA » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:23 pm

Well, I had a asrock whatever motherboard but the fdc controller died. I rma'ed it back to newegg; the mobo is no longer carried so i got a new board. Its an Epox 8RDA3+ (NF2 Ultra); and ofcourse, being the dumbass I am... i trusted Zalman's webpage about compatibility and bought it even though the cpu looked wayy to close to the top of the motherboard...

ANYWAY; I have an Evercase 4252 and now my zalman 7000alcu A doesnt fit. I am f'in pissed...

What HSF setup do you guys reccomend? do you have any good links for the thermalrights? cause their pretty damn expensive at newegg...

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:55 am

Now that I find surprising. Yes the socket is a bit too much up but not really out of the ordinary for most nForce2 Ultra boards in general. The Evercase isn't really a small case either. You shouldn't be having any problems other than the 7000 clip interference.

I've used the 7000 with a 8RDA+ (which has almost the exact socket area layout as the 8RDA3+ and is just as close to the top as yours) inside a much more cramped Sonata.

You're not talking about the clip interference problem are you?

DijabutiA

Post by DijabutiA » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:20 am

The 7000 is caught between my PS and the chipset fan, so im pretty damn sure im SOL. There is about a centimeter gap between my PS and the motherboard.

DijabutiA

Post by DijabutiA » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:48 am

Okay, after a little inspiration from burcakb; i pulled the little fan off the northbridge cooler and now it looks like it fits so this is awesome. I need to cut my clip though, DAMN CAPACITOR. Man If i knew it would have fit i would have bought the damn asus. This is SHITTY; Thats what i get for not asking around first, LOL.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:20 pm

Although I'm p**ssed off at Epox, the 8RDA+ and 8RDA3+ are actually very decent boards that can do good overclocking and nice undervolting. In that respect, it's a better board than the Asus.

The clip problem is documented on Zalman's page. Plus it's no really big deal to cut it off.

This being a silentPC site, you didn't need the NB fan anyway :)

If the stock NB fan is unable to cool properly, you can always install a Zalman NB47 there. You'll need to cut two fins slightly but a regular scissors will do it easily.