Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fredster

My Dual AMD

Post by fredster » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:40 pm

Here's my pretty quiet PC:

and the back:

Specs:

Tyan 2460, AMD 1000MP, 2x256 ECC REG PC2100 Crucial, Cheiftec DX-01BD, Nexus 3000 PSU, Gainward GeForce4 600 64MB fanless video card, LSIU160 SCSI, Cheeta X15 (15k, 18GB), Western Digital WDE9150-0052 (10k,9GB), Maxtor DiamondMax 60GB (5400rpm), cheesey PCI sound card and NIC, generic CDROM, Lite-On CD-RW.

The heatsinks I got at QuietPC, I don't know who makes them. I've used them in other boxes and they're pretty quiet. Also using Arctic Silver 3. For fans, I have the stock case fans in the back, L1A's in the front, all at 7v with the Sunbeam fan controller. I'm going to slow down the cpu fans once I get a 3pin y-splitter going.

For decoupling, both rear and bottom front fans are all foam-mounted ala Mr. Gyoza :wink: . The 10k drive I just put in the bottom of the case with a small thin piece of pink foam. I'm still not too keen on removing the bottom drive cage just yet, so the 15k drive is in it loosely sitting on a wavy piece of foam that you get in hard drive packaging (it much more stable than it looks). I'm using the stock fan cage for that one. It looks like the drive's screwed in, but the screw is only there for grounding, and isn't tight. The green wire from the bottom drive is also there for grounding. The Maxtor isn't decoupled at all, but it's not very noisy anyway. I'll eventually get some grommets for that.

Temps:
CPU - 46/49 @ idle, 55/59 after Folding all day.
SCSI drive temps are pretty steady at 36/37. Don't know about the Maxtor, but it doesn't feel very hot so I assume it's ok.

I found this site after I put this together, so I haven't removed the fan grills yet, but I may. I made a filter out of a used dryer sheet for the front bezel and the drive temps didn't really go up much, they're within spec, so I'm not worried. The sound difference after I gave this thing the SPCR treatment was truly amazing. How quiet? Well, I don't have anything to measure with, but it's considerably quieter than the heat registers, and I can't hear it from my bed accross the room, so I'm happy!

Thanks SPCR!!!

Fredster...

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:56 pm

Luving the foam fan mounts!

Glad to see people trying out my ideas!

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Tue May 27, 2003 3:32 pm

Lookin' good!

But, as with most of us (including myself), power supply cables plauge the scene.