Loud CPU? anyone hear high pitch whining sound from A64 ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sobol

Loud CPU? anyone hear high pitch whining sound from A64 ?

Post by sobol » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:37 am

Hello
I hear such sound from around socket. My pc is ultra quiet and atm laudest part of it is CPU.

Previously i had Abit AN7 ( NF2 ) and Barton 2500+ , rest of components left same and it was ultra quiet, only thing i could hear was relly quiet whining from my samsungs drivers.

Then i changed my system to NF3 , Msi K8N NEO-FSR and A64 3000+.
And there was killing me sound whining high pitch. Then i though its mobo so i changed my mobo to Epox 8KDA3. Didnt helped i still heard sound.
On this forum: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... adid=40209 i found thread where guys discovered its problem with chockes, two phase power suppling. So i changed my mobo do DFI LanParty UT 250(4 phase) , and guess what one sound is gone. Now i hear other tone. What i heard on 2 previous boards was mixed sound from chockes + from cpu.
I recently talked with my friend who also have ultra quiet PC and he hear same. I Also tried to change CPU to other one and that sound was eaven lauder.

Now i know the sound is from cpu. Can anyone confirm same?
( try to run prime95 or when winxp is loading )
Here are links to forums where i posted about problem:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthr ... eadid=2335
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... eadid=4020

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:32 pm

It seems to be common to A64's maybe because the use so much 12v power. Some times resetting to fail-safe defaults, and reconfiguring helps, some tiimes a flash to a new bios. If those don't help some hot glue or silicone applied to the chokes can stop the resonance. (At your own risk of course). Its the same thing some power supplies suffer from.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:18 pm

Are you kidding me? Do all A64's (even the new 90nm ones) make this high pitched sound?

-Ed

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:33 pm

I don't know about the 90nm Winchester chips, but with my ClawHammer-equipped DFI LANParty UT nF3 250Gb, the coils produce, not so much a high pitched squeal, but a somewhat high pitched buzz. This is the only board I've seen make this strange sounding sort of coil buzz; my P4 and K7 rigs would usually make the standard high frequency squeal.

-Ed

skene

Post by skene » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:02 am

I've got an Epox 8KDA3 with a clawhammer 3000+ and have noticed the whine with the side of my case off. It may be USB related though, since it was persistant when I had a usb wifi dongle plugged in but would stop when i pulled it out. I'm not using wireless anymore but it still shows up, but not as loud, when the system is under load. I've got usb mouse in there now, but haven't tested it much since I only notice the whine with the side of the case off.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:07 am

Squealing & whining from power supply components on the motherboard is probably one of the most overlooked issues for PC acoustics. Partly it is because the problem is often interactive -- ie certain combinations of components under certain loads produce loud enough noise to be problematic while remaining insignificant with other components & other loads.

Board makers simply don't or maybe cannot afford to spend the time tweaking to eliminate such issues with all combos given the short life cycle of their products. Also, in most cases, this noise is buried under the combined noise from other components in a PC -- PSU, HS and case fans as well a hard drives.

(On that note, I have to say that a serious deterrent to improved acoustics from mainstream component or system makers is that the work environments of both engineers and management is likely to be loud by our standards. So for those guys, anything <40 dBA/1m is probably plenty quiet & they think SPCR is nuts & obsessed.)

Not sure what the solution is at this time.

The worst squealing offender of this kind I ever encountered was a Biostar 200N SFF barebones. The PS components on this thing whined loudly enough to be heard anywhere within a 30ft radius no matter what other components it ran -- including fans at full blast and loud HDDs. It was also dynamic -- mouse movements & screen activity would trigger different types of chattering, clicking, whining, etc. Like a siren chorus! :shock: :shock: It was a nightmare.

Biostar would not even respond -- had no response -- to my requests for replacement or a solution for many weeks, I think they thought I was like a hypochondriac... and in the end, despite the nice job they'd done with the rest of this machine, I could not see the point of posting any review. It would have been a total pan; I could not keep it on long enough to do anything with it, it had to be turned off within 10 minutes to save my sanity. I will never know whether this was a true lemon or just like all the other 200Ns.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:44 am

Come to think of it, an older setup of mine, (an AOpen AX34 Pro II, Pentium III 1 GHz) makes a high pitched beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep noise. It starts to oscillate a bit when the hard drive is working and disappears when you move the mouse around. Weird.

-Ed

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:45 am

Perhaps we vould start "whining" list for confirmed "whining" components? This is a pretty annoying thing to deal with.

-Ed

killerfish

Post by killerfish » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:42 pm

Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, BUT I posted in a new thread that I was able to undervolt my 2800+ S754 CPU all the way down to 1.075v.

What's wierd is that I too had the whine until I started undervolting. It wasn't loud at all, but definitely noticeable. I think it was around 1.3v where I didn't notice the whine anymore. Perhaps it's worth a try?

Also, in regard to the Biostar 200N's whining. I had it REAL bad as well, but simply muting the all sound input/output channels (ie mic, SP/DIF,etc) besides the ones my speakers where on fixed it for me...

Thanks
KF

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:21 am

My Biostar 200V also has the PS whine at higher load. It's pretty quiet, but with the fans at near minimum speed (1600rpm or so for both 60mm fans) you can just hear the PS whine from 3-5 feet or so. Using CPUMSR to change the CPU speed, I can tell very easily that the whine increases at higher speed/load, but as mentioned, it's within tolerable limits on mine. I'm not real sensitive to high frequencies. Chances are, the original poster just has a poor quality power supply.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:36 am

Responding to Edwood's suggestion, I have started a new sticky thread in the Silent Front forum: Whining Components

AZBrandon, killerfish & Edwood -- please repost reports about whiners in the new thread.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:41 am

OK, I am building a new system in about a month either with a mobile Athlon 64 (754) or 90nm 939 Athlon 64.

I'll check my other computers too. (Pentium M 1.3GHz (Banias), P4 2.4B, and PIII 1GHz).

Although, I'm pretty sure it may be other components than motherboards that are whiners. Ironically enough, I had thought my old ProSilence 350 was a whiner, but after it died and I RMA'd it (fu** you, SilentMaxx)I dropped in a replacement, and the whining was still there, so it wasn't the ProSilence 350. Probably the motherboard.

-Ed

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:38 pm

So any new word on the high pitches? I despise high pitches but a Socket 754 Athlon 64 may be my best upgrade option. Can people with Athlon 64s post here if they do/don't hear the whine?

justlnluck

Post by justlnluck » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:06 pm

I have an SiS chipset, socket 754 motherboard, with a Athlon 64 2800+ w/ stock HSF and it makes no whine whatsoever. I would know because I am very peculiar about those kinds of things.

So if you are interested an A64, don't get scared just b/c a couple people have some problems. Since upgrading from an AXP 1900+, my computer has never before run so cool and quiet.

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:54 pm

Gigabyte K8NS Pro & A64 3000+ running @ 2400 MHz

No whine that I can hear over my Samsung HDD.

justlnluck

Post by justlnluck » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:42 am

rperezlo, your Samsung hdd whines? I can only hear the vibration from the read / write heads.

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:24 am

I'm not sure if the right term is whine, but it does some noise at idle. I'd say it's white noise centered at low frecuencies, compared to a hum (tone at low freq) or to a whine (tone at high freq). I also have an older WD that has a similar noise (I know because it shuts down after 10 minutes).

Both are suspended so that I can't hear the seeks, only that noise.

nanite

MikeC - You're Not The Only One

Post by nanite » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:42 am

I can relate to you MikeC! I originally made a computer with Shuttle's µATX MN31/N nForce2 IGP, and the components squeeled like a pig. I bought a Biostar iDEQ 200N, thinking that it'd get better with a different board, but it only got worse. I was so incredibly pissed off that the Biostar also had a shitty squeel, much like that of the Shuttle, but not quite as bad. I also sent emails to Biostar, which they had absolutely no clue what the problem with this was. They thought it was an electrical issue, which it wasn't. The board's coils squeeled themselves, making it virtually unfixable. After spending so much money on pc parts, I decided to live with it since there was nothing else I could do. Imagine the horror of that, I'm still using the system.

Send me money for different components if you have any mercy!