Yeong Yang B0221 Cube Sound Damped Review

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Badashmods

Yeong Yang B0221 Cube Sound Damped Review

Post by Badashmods » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:55 am

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:08 am

I like the cube format, but I wish the fan placement was a little better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the mobo half it looks like the only major exhaust vent is covered in magicfleece. Even if that vent was opened, it's in a weird location and would only work sorta as an intake. I wish they learned from those who modded the case and added a blowhole to the top-rear.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:23 am

(I've lurked on SPCR for a couple months now. :roll: Here's my first foray into the discussion :) ...)

A few comments about the B0221....

1. Plenty of space to suspend HDD in the CD trays...could even suspend a fan(s) to blow on the HDD a la Adding a fan to the NoVibes III if you're concerned about the air flow on that side of the case or the increased temps that come with suspending a HDD.

2. Might want to consider turning the PSU fan around to blow into the case to get proper convection cooling on that side of the case...though I realize you'll be pumping some of the PSU heat into the case.

3. Anyone have thoughts on the need for an exhaust fan on the drive side of the case? I realize that more fans=more noise.

4. Seems like the mobo side of the case will get good convection cooling with the combo of a low-volted 120mm front intake and either just the vent on the side panel or a low-volted exhaust fan on the side panel. I wonder if the position of the side vent lends itself to having a CPU fan that pulls air a la the Alpha 8942...thus blowing it right out of the case. Though, powergyoza makes a good point that this review shows the exhaust outlet covered by damping material.

5. I think the front bezel on the mobo side of the case is going to be rather restrictive unless some plastic is cut away. I'm surprised that a server case has such a tiny intake slot for that 120mm fan mount on the bottom of the bezel.

6. I'd consider, once the cables are run between the two sides, sealing up the hole that runs between the two sides of the case, thus producing two separate cooling flows/chambers.

7. Has anyone seen a reseller for these cases in the USA? Is the USA model have a different model #? I see that the Yeong Yang website lists Gigacase as the American reseller, but the YY0221 listed at Gigacase looks like a different model. At least it shows a different front CD rack setup.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:41 pm

Aparently there are several different cases that look like that one but are slightly different. Ive seen it with different fan setups in the back.