8rdavcore/nf7vcore: A small usage guide

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jib

8rdavcore/nf7vcore: A small usage guide

Post by jib » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:41 am

EDIT: This was intended to be a post in the 8rdavcore/nf7vore: Software controlled undervolting! thread but it ended up by its own here. Oh well. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Been using this great util for a few days now, and thought I could celebrate the new version by sharing some tips on how to effectively get where you want. I'm sure most readers here already know most of this, but anyhow it could be of use for some.

Suppose you want to run two different sets of cpu settings, one for idling/browsing and one for cpu intensive tasks.
  1. Reboot into bios and set a low multiplier, say 5. This way you can find your max fsb setting without having to worry about what part of the system made you crash. Using the util you can set vdimm voltage which could help a bit, depending on how far you want to push things. When pushing memory speeds computers tend to hard lock but this has never caused me any damage. Just power down the computer fully (pull the cord or hit the psu switch) and restart. When you belive your fsb setting is stable, run prime95 with the ram usage option for an hour or more, then rethink and run it again ;) Write down the final result, its all to easy to forget.
  2. Having max fsb figured out, continue with some educated guesswork. Now we got the max fsb, so take your expected/wanted maximum cpu speed and divide it by the fsb. It's best not to overshoot to much here, better to start a bit low and then bump up the multiplier a notch. Its important to point out that a system running at 10x200 will be a lot faster overall than one running at 20x100. Keep this in mind. Set this multiplier in bios, and while you're in there, set mem speed to 100% and fsb to 100mhz (yes no joke) using manual ('Expert') settings. Set all voltages to their lowest settings.

The reason for this is that you want to be able to fully use the utils potential. I've had problems with adjusting the fsb if my bios settings were higher than the fsb I tried to set using the util.

Always run prime95 in the background while doing the next steps, and keep an eye on it. During the process of lowering or increasing voltage its excellent as it will give you a warning in time, enabling you to take a step back before your computer crashes.
  3. You should now boot at about a 1ghz depending on what multiplier you settled at. Back in Windows, fire up the util. Now comes the fun part. I started by finding my undervolted settings. At this speed you should be able to find your voltage floor, that is the absolutely lowest voltage your cpu will be able to run at. It should a setting somewhere around or below 1,2v. With prime95 in the background you should see errors when you are approaching the limits of the cpu. It could crash here too, but again, I've never had any damage due to this. Just do a cold boot and go easier next time.

Having found the voltage floor set it up just a notch to gain some stability. This won't do much difference in cpu temps but should prevent you from crashing.
  4. You don't want to keep running at 100mhz fsb, so after writing down your voltage settings (always smart as they are easier to forget than you'd imagine) start increasing the fsb in _small_ steps while watcing prime95, which again will fail when you reach a limit. Step back a little and rerun prime95 until you are satisfied with the stability. Doesn't hurt doing other benchmarks at the same time to stress the system. Even if these are your low performance settings you'd want them to be stable.
  5. Next and final step, find your normal/overclocked settings. These are the settings you'd want to use to run intensive tasks, so testing them for stability is even more important than for the undervolted ones. Going from the undervolted settings you found above, set your vcore back to 1.5v and then fsb to stock speed. How much you want to push things on this end really depends on your cooling. If you are lucky you have the NF7-S and can use speedfan to increase or decrease fan-speed dynamically. If you have one of the Epox 8rda boards you will have to find a static fan setting that will work for both undervolt and normal. Again while watching prime95 alternately increase fsb and vcore, and keep and eye on those temps rising. Where you want your cpu temperature ceiling to be is really a matter of personal taste and believes in the end. Some say cpu lifespan starts to suffer when going over 50C measured at the socket, which is where Epox measures it, at least. In my opinion you'd be safe as long as you don't push much above 55C.
Ok that's it, you now have some stable settings to play with! In A LOT fewer reboots than you could have done without this util! Not to mention the fact your cpu undervolts below the minimum bios setting. What a deal :-) Time to make things practical.

Save two .bat files like this in the same dir as you installed the util. Change the settings according to your own and also change the exe to nf7vcore if you need to.

Code: Select all

rem undervolt.bat

rem Lowering FSB setting
8rdavcore.exe -f 175

rem Lowering CPU voltage
8rdavcore.exe -s 1.175

Code: Select all

rem overclock.bat

rem Increasing CPU voltage
8rdavcore.exe -s 1.6

rem Increasing FSB setting
8rdavcore.exe -f 220
Below are some uther settings you could use if needed. Beware that (most likely) you are only able to use the same values as you can see in the gui.
  • -r [VDimm]
  • -a [VAgp]
  • -v [Vdd]
  • -q [Tras]
  • -w [Trcd]
  • -e [Trp]
Next, add the two .bat files to the start-menu in a convenient place. After creating it, navigate to it on the menu, right-click and select Properties.

Here, add a keyboard shortcut and select that you want the .bat file to run minimized. I've used Ctrl+Alt+Up and Ctrl+Alt+Down which is easy to remember. After this you are able to switch on and off afterburner on your fighter jet just by using a simple keyboard shortcut :twisted:

But that's not all. You might want to get fancy about it, and have everything adjust itself dynamically by using the Vcore presets and the AutoFSB feature. This would require you to have the util running all the time, but if you're okay with that then it's easy to set up. Read the readme to understand how to go about it. You could even use something like RunExeSvc to run the program as a background service in Windows. If you take away the checkmark on the Logon tab in the service properties, the icon won't show up in your systray.

Like when I talked about overclocking above, you will be even better off if you are able to also control fan speeds through software. Still for most adjusting voltage and fsb will be enough.

Good luck!
Last edited by jib on Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:51 pm

Thanks for sharing this info Jib. I guess it will save me at least an hour now that I don't have to figure all that out by myself.

wsc

Post by wsc » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:38 pm

Good post Jib ;)

cwl999

Post by cwl999 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:48 pm

I'm running an AMD at 9.5*200 1.65v and it's fully stable under prime95.

Using nf7vcore, I can cannot stably underclock to 166 and below. It seems unstable the closer to 166 I get.

If I set it to 9.5*100 at BIOS, I can underclock to 9.5*50 which is COOL, but I cannot clock it back up to 200Mhz.

Any ideas???

jib

Post by jib » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:29 am

cwl999 wrote:If I set it to 9.5*100 at BIOS, I can underclock to 9.5*50 which is COOL, but I cannot clock it back up to 200Mhz.

Any ideas???
Hm. My guess would be that it has something to do with the memory speed settings in bios. I'm not sure how the NF7 are about this but with my 8rda+ it only works if I put memory speed to 100% .. so that memory run at 100% of fsb speed and change in paralell. Also I keep my mem timings at the same setting all the time, the setting I use at top speed.

Another thing, if you're not doing this already, remember to increase voltage first, then increase fsb. Try only small steps first.

cwl999

Post by cwl999 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:36 am

The RAM is running at the same speed as FSB.

I've done some tests.

With a initial FSB of 200Mhz, I can get down to around 166Mhz before it BSOD.
With a starting FSB of 166Mhz, I can go to 200Mhz fine and to around 110Mhz before it becomes unstable.

With a start FSB of 133Mhz, I can get to around 195Mhz and to around 70Mhz.

I started monitoring PCI bus with sandra late on the tests and found that my PCI bus was moving around. I suspect that the PCI bus is going out of spec and crashing.

SIOC

Post by SIOC » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:14 pm

HI!!!

I'M not use with DOS and BAT files :oops: I edit the files as you done. Only the second line is different ;

rem Lowering FSB setting
8rdavcore.exe -f 175

rem Lowering CPU voltage
8rdavcore.exe -s 1.6

When i use my shotcut, the DOS windows and 8davcore appear but nothing has been changed. An small windows is telling me :

Syntax is : -s CONTROL VALUE.

I would like to lower my FSB to 175Mhz. Wath is the CONTROL switch???

I get the same error with the other BAT file.

Could you help ME????

tanks

SIOC

Post by SIOC » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:29 am

OOUPS!!

THE POSTS is from 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not sure to get an answer?!!?

lol

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:36 am

You may want to try emailing the author of the program: 8rdavcore website

SIOC

Post by SIOC » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:22 am

HELLO rusty!!

MAy you help me?? Can you answer my question.

Tank you for the ideas!!

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:32 am

SOIC, try this e-mail address:

[email protected]

SIOC

Post by SIOC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:01 am

Tank you EDWARD!!!!

I would appreciate your solution on my technical question if you know it!!!

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:14 am

Sorry, my friend; I do not have any knowledge of the actual problem. :?