A7N8X northbridge temps interfering with my quieting efforts

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mathias

A7N8X northbridge temps interfering with my quieting efforts

Post by mathias » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:19 am

The MB temp readings from my A7N8X have always been higher than my CPU diode temps (temp lows are at least as high, while highs are a lot higher). Recently I noticed that cutting back the CPU fan increases the MB temp significantly while hardly affecting harddrive temps, so I'm quite sure that sensor is on the northbridge, and I've heard stories of NB heat problems on A7N8X's. So I need to do something about the northbridge heatsink, I'm considering three options:

-remove the stock heatsink, clean of the stock thermal goop with isopropyl, and reapply with ceramique

-same as above, but also bend the fins appart more

-replace with a ZM-NB47

The NB heatsink gets pretty hot, but not as hot as the CPU sink, so I'm quite sure the TIM is a problem.

I'm worried that the screws or whatever keeping it in place are not reusable. Also, any idea how much TIM I will need if the NB is concave?

Edit: oops, this was supposed to be in the silent front

silencery

Post by silencery » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:05 pm

maybe your sensors are just hopelessly screwed up? Are you monitoring from bios/asusprobe or another app?

I'm afraid my A7N8X doesn't seem to exhibit this issue, so I can't help much :p

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:10 pm

What temps are your NB reporting?

Are you having any instability?

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:26 pm

silencery wrote:maybe your sensors are just hopelessly screwed up? Are you monitoring from bios/asusprobe or another app?
MBM, PC probe only reads CPU socket temps. I don't think they're screwed up, it gets pretty even with the other sensors when low, but when it heats up it does so more than everything else.
Rusty075 wrote:What temps are your NB reporting?

Are you having any instability?
Not really sure, I have the alarm set to 56C, now it goes as high as 55 from moderate use, 50C from 1 hour near idle, at 23C ambient temp.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:30 pm

You are a long, long way from having any overheating issue. Your northbridge is rated to run at up to 99°C.

You can stop worrying now. :lol:

And yes, if you're running an Asus board, your sensors are screwed up. They do it that way on purpose. But even that's nothing to worry about. Trust me. :lol:

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:42 pm

Rusty075 wrote:You are a long, long way from having any overheating issue. Your northbridge is rated to run at up to 99°C.

You can stop worrying now. :lol:
:shock: Strange, i never heard of any northbridge steamblocks.

Guess the zalman heatsink and bending are out of the question, and the alarm's going up.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:15 pm

well, I said it could go up that high...didn't say you'd want to.