Old Athlon XP 1700

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tahiti_bob

Old Athlon XP 1700

Post by tahiti_bob » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:32 pm

Hi,

I have two Athlon XP 1700 that I still use at home. They were originally equiped with cheap fans.
Now, I can't stand the noise anymore !
Could you give me some suggestions about what fans I could place for the cpu, the graphic card (Geforce 5 Ti4200) ? Should I replace the power box too ?

Same question for a Pentium 4 2,4 Ghz / Geforce 4 Ti 4200

It would be great if, with you suggestions, you could give some links to online stores (preferably in the UK, Germany, or other european countries) where they sell the stuff you advise...

Thanks.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:43 am

For the processors, I'd go with what's on this page.

I can't tell you if you should replace the power supply. You're going to have to tell us what it is first before we can tell you whether it should be replaced or not.

For your video card, either Artic Cooling NV Silencer 1 or the Zalman ZM80A/C/D (either A, C, or D). Sorry, but I have no idea where you might be able to get any of this in the UK/EU

tahiti_bob

Post by tahiti_bob » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:03 am

thanks for the list.

I'll have a look at the power supply, but it's something standard and very cheap...so I think it'll have to be replaced.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:07 am

Assuming you do, selections from here will work well for you. Since you're in the UK/EU, the Nexus NX-3000 should be worth examining.

tahiti_bob

Post by tahiti_bob » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:45 am

For the cpu cooler, there is a 'B' version of the Zalman (Zalman CNPS 7000B alcu) that I would take. It seems it's also compatible with A sockets. Is this correct ?

What should take ? the alcu or the cu ?
Is is not too heavy ?

And is there anylthing else that I should check on my motherboard (it's an Elite K7, I think) to be sure it can be mounted ?

Sorry for all these questions but I don't want to by the wrong thing...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:26 am

Yes, you need to make sure that your motherboard has 4 holes around the socket. Not all K7 motherboards do. If it doesn't, the Zalman 7000B won't fit

If that's the case, I'd recommend the Thermalright SLK-900A, which doesn't need those holes. Though from the looks of things, you may have to make sure that there's some space between the socket and the power supply. The one downside to the SLK-900A, is that you need to get a fan (a 92mm Nexus fan is recommended) with it. The other downside is that it's somewhat expensive.

A cheaper alternative would be one of the Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2 series. I don't know which is the best, but it's much more inexpensive.

BTW, the Zalman 7000 AlCu is perfect for your Pentium 4 processor.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:57 pm

For the video card, let me show you what I did with my ti4200. The Zalman ZM17-CU works just fine. Its fanless, and gets rather toasty, but I was able to do endless loops of 3DMark with no problems. I then bent the fins out for looks and a wee bit extra cooling.

ZM17-CU mounted on my ti4200 - originally all the fins are flat.

Mounted in the case

tahiti_bob

Post by tahiti_bob » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:37 am

The Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2 seems to be a good deal, but would it be silent enough

tahiti_bob

Post by tahiti_bob » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:47 am

What kind of tools do you use to monitor the temperature of your components ?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:30 am

Motherboard Monitor. Support for it has been discontinued but it's still the best and most versatile. Depending on your motherboard, you might find Speedfan and 8rdavcore helpful too. But first try MBM.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:33 am

tahiti_bob wrote:The Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2 seems to be a good deal, but would it be silent enough
Depends on your definition of "silent enough" of course, but IMO they are pretty much OK. I've used the TC (temperature controlled) versions and they do not speed up too much providing you have decent case airflow. The Zalman has much better cooling potential obviously so it will run quieter, but is also a lot more expensive. Guess it comes down to how much you want to spend (and whether your mobo has the holes sthayashi mentioned). BTW, the AlCu is probably the best choice since it has the best weight/performance ratio.

Depending on the power supplies and how much you want to spend on those you could consider doing a fan swap, putting in better fans (Nexus would be my choice). Otherwise the Nexus psu's are excellent advice, 3500 or 4090 (which apparantly speed up less quickly). If you're not using the machines for gaming you could swap the video cards for cheap cards that are passively cooled (ATi 9200, nVidia 5200, etc) but that depends on use.

tahiti_bob

Post by tahiti_bob » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:26 am

I always read about people talking about controlling the speed of the different fans...Is this a software-based control or is it done using a kind of switch on the fan itself ?
Btw, is this option standard for the different kind of fans (cpu, gpu, psu...) ?