Is the front case fan necessary?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DG

Is the front case fan necessary?

Post by DG » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:51 am

Besides lower hdd temperatures, are any other advantages in an good airflow case (like 3700AMB case, with good wire management)? Isn't enough only one 120mm fan in the back?

ps: oh, and i'm planning to use an aluminium filter in front, removing the case's default one...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Is the front case fan necessary?

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:57 am

DG wrote:Besides lower hdd temperatures, are any other advantages in an good airflow case (like 3700AMB case, with good wire management)?

None that I've ever seen.
DG wrote:Isn't enough only one 120mm fan in the back?
Almost certainly, unless perhaps if you're running a bunch of HDDs and a very hot vidcard.

That said, it really does help to have some sort of fan blowing air on the HDD(s). Even a tiny bit of air cools the drive down quite a bit. I'd plan on putting some sort of fan in front, even if it was along the lines of a 5V 80mm Panaflo L1A.

DG

Post by DG » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:50 am

I have only 1 hdd, a Samsung drive and i don't have any problems with it's temperature.
But i have a 9800Pro (with silencer on low), and is very hot, radiating heat all over the place (including the cpu)...:(