Help/Confirm New System (Suggestions or Comments)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mkruer

Help/Confirm New System (Suggestions or Comments)

Post by mkruer » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:17 pm

I am trying to find a case for a system that I am going to build with the new month or two, and I think I found the one I want. The case I decided to get is Li Lian PC-V2000 all aluminum case (More information can be found here http://www.lian-li.jp/case/full_pc-v2000ab.html). I know that it is not the most ideal for the quietest systems, but I think that with a few modifications, I can keep the Db’s low enough that I will not know it is on. This brings me to my next question. I have been doing research on this site to find out more about the case, specifically on how to best soulnd proof it. I found this thread, http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13023 but I would like more information on it. Does anyone have experience with this case, I would like to know if it is ideal for sound proofing using Melamine Sound Absorbing and/or Eggcrate Foam, but I need to know if the case has the space to support it. Also I would like to know what are the dimensions between the inner stabilization rails for the side panels to know how much sound proofing I need.

The next issue is how to best cool the CPU with as few fans a possible. I was looking at the Thermaltake Fanless 103 cl-p0019 (More information can be found here http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p ... ess103.htm) I know it really does require a fan as I found the information on the site at http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=15329 I am hoping to reverse the fan to blow into the case directly over the heat sink there by providing the necessary airflow to keep just about any CPU cool, but I need to know if I still need the fan in the front of the case to blow out to keep the internal case tempatue as low as possible or if it will not make any substanitla diffrance.

The final component I am looking for is the PSU. This is the only that I have not done any research on, and would like to know what I need interms of both a quite PSU and to have enough power to run my system.

Here is the planed system:
Athlon 64, 3500+ or 3800+ 90nm (Winchester core)
2GB PC3200 Ram (2x1GB DDR-400)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Ati RADEON X800 Pro or GeForce 6800
2x250GB Western Digital Caviar SE Serial ATA drives (Raid 1)
Nforce 4 Mother Board

As you can see this system is a relatively high-end system, but not extreme. In I believe total the power comes out to about 250 watts max. Add in PSU efficiency of about 75% and I am looking at about a 350-watt power supply. I am thinking about upping that to 400 for possible future expansion. But again I am looking for a quit PSU,

If everything goes great I hope my system will end out around the 20-30Db mark, about a full 15-20Db quieter then my current system. This is just a guess.

Any suggestions or comments?

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:40 pm

Nice choice on the Lian Li, I've got the V1000 and it rocks!

You should try a XP-90 or and XP-120 with a slow moving fan (your choice). Most of the time you can go so slow that it's inaudible within a foot.

I would definitely pick a M-Audio Revolution over a Audigy 2ZS, unless you're doing more gaming than music. The Revo, in my opinion, beats the 2ZS in everything but gaming. And don't get me wrong, the Revo is awesome for gaming if that!

As for PSU, I just got my Seasonic 460W Super Silencer and it is extremely silent. Now, my NV Silencer 5 is the loudest thing in my case.

I also have WD 200GB SATA's and they aren't too noisy, but they definitely aren't silent. You will hear them power up to 7200rpm. But I'm not too picky with HDD's.

Check out my rig and perhaps you can get some ideas:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=16632

mkruer

Post by mkruer » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:58 pm

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I am thinking that having the main exhaust fan going over the heat sink will be more then enough to keep the system cool, with only a single fan working for both, unlike you current rig with a fan on the CPU and one on the case right next to each other.

As for the audio, I plan on mostly gaming and maybe a few movies, but not much sound recording, if any.

Thanks on the recommendation on the Seasonic 460W Super Silencer PSU. I will take a look into it.

BTW here is a potential tip for you if you don’t know it all ready, I have found when it comes to drives, change your power setting in Windows (if you are using that) and just leave them on all the time i.e. not throttle down. Not only does the drive tend to last longer, but because it doesn’t have to power up, it will be quieter. The only potential issues (and I have never had this personally) is that the drives will run at max temp all the time. This has never been an issue for me personal, and right now I have 4 drives 7200rpm running all the time

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Re: Help/Confirm New System (Suggestions or Comments)

Post by ChucuSCAD » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:34 am

mkruer wrote:but I would like more information on it. Does anyone have experience with this case, I would like to know if it is ideal for sound proofing using Melamine Sound Absorbing and/or Eggcrate Foam, but I need to know if the case has the space to support it. Also I would like to know what are the dimensions between the inner stabilization rails for the side panels to know how much sound proofing I need.
I did a review of this case : http://www.silentpcreview.com/article163-page1.html

I am more then happy to take specifc dimensions for you. Just draw on one of the pictures in the article and I will get back to you with the dimensions. Just PM or Email them tto me.

On the whole it is a quite system, since the article I have moved to a Seasonic supply, fanless 9600xt ultimate from sapphire, 7vs on the CPU and 5vs on the 120 MM exhaust. No other fans.

However there is much more room for improvement with foam or your sound dampening tool of choice ..... however I have something special brewing right now to silence the system. :wink: :)

chucuSCAD

mkruer

Post by mkruer » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:01 pm

Thanks for the Review; the rails I am talking about are these ones,
I am also planning to add a thin rubber gasket to the outside to prevent the metal on metal rubbing.

Also on the question of fan on video cards. Does anyone have a Nvidia 6800GT or ATi Radeon x800. If they do how much noise do they make when idle v.s. under load.

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:32 pm

the stabilization rails stick out ~6mm and the distance betwen them is about 52cmx53.5cm. Hope this helps ya you.

if you need anything else just let me know

chucuSCAD

::EDIT:: oh yea..... there really isnt much room to add rubber to the side panels to prevent metal on metal. I would say less then 1mm gap. given the weight of each panel and the stabilization bars they don't seem to resonate(I know I spelled that wrong)

mkruer

Post by mkruer » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:58 pm

Code: Select all

Here is the finalized system:

Price (Low/High)   
Case;      Li Lian PC-V2000                                             $230-278
CPU;       3500+ or 3800+ 90nm (Winchester core)                        $279-285
Heat Sink; Thermaltake Fanless 103 (cl-p0019)                           $43-54
Sound;     Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS                      $76-76
RAM;       2GB PC3200 Ram (2x1GB DDR-400)                               $300-300
Video;     Ati RADEON X800 Pro                                          $344-445
Drive;     2x250GB Western Digital Caviar SE Serial ATA drives (Raid 1) $280-316
PSU;       Seasonic (SS-400AGX Active PFC)                              $57-98
MB;        Unknown/TBD                                                  $150-200

Total Cost = $1759-2052
Any comments other then "DONT DO IT!" :lol:

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:29 am

mkruer wrote:Any comments other then "DONT DO IT!" :lol:
Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned before (using an alternative to the Thermaltake, yadda-yadda-yadda).

There have been lots of complaints about video card fans, and even the NV/ATI silencers aren't as quiet as the old VGA silencers. Be prepared to do something to your video card (and get a fanmate as well).

Also, you may need/want different case fans. But that's up to you.